Impatient First Timer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impatient First Timer

This is my first year with a garden large enough to grow veg and I've thrown myself right into it, and loving it. Do you become less patient the longer you grow? I keep looking at things and getting cross with them for not growing quickly enough. I've banned myself from going into the greenhouse 20 times a day to look at things.

Any others out there feel the same way?

hi,tell me what you have been growing and i might beable to give you some idea,

Finney

Comment

I think you become more patient the longer you have grown as you understand the time that plants need. I guess its down to experience.
      'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
      - Thomas Howard

Comment

Yup, I'm just the same. I can't understand why nothing looks any bigger when I go in 30 mins later to 'check'.......
        Tx
        Tx

Comment

Ha ha, yeah 'come on, I go away, have a cup of tea and you're still the same size'.

Everythings growing, but just too slow. My boyfriend was blessed with patience, sadly I wasn't.

In the greenhouse the toms, squash, gherkins, Cape Gooseberries, peppers, courgettes, strawbs and herbs are doing well but the chillis are real slow, only about 2 inches or so but lots of people in my area have been telling me that theirs are slow too.

Any tips?
          Last edited by amandaandherveg; 12-06-2008, 10:07 AM.

Comment

2 inch chillies wow, the flowers on mine havnt even opened yet

I play music to mine whilst Im working in the garden, I have my first courgette growing so shouldnt be long before I can eat it.
            However should I cook it or eat it raw????
            Last edited by Bassman; 12-06-2008, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Oh no, don't get excited, I meant the plant was 2 inches not the chillis. I wish!
              Last edited by amandaandherveg; 12-06-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

take a chill pill,nature will takes its cause,things will grow it is now getting warmer

finney

Comment

I was staring at my second courgette last night (first got eaten by you-know-whatties) and thought it would be a couple of days, but this morning it's flippin HUUUUUGE!!!! I imagine it'll be all out world domination by the time I get home, if the little slimy bar stewards haven't eaten it!

Comment

Yes, if you want fast try growing courgettes. The plant takes a painful while to get into stride, and the first bijou-courgettes are also slow on the uptake, but once it gets into its stride. Blimey.

That 2inch mini-courgette you missed last night will be beating down the back door the following evening!

As you get the hang of the different crops you'll have more idea of how long they need - but hopefully the impatience will never go - enjoy your green babies, and your enthusiam!

LCG

Comment

Hi

Yes - I'm not blessed with patience either! Its amazing how things do get going though and when I've been away for a weekend thats when it seems to happen - not when I'm looking at them every morning and evening!!

Comment

Yeah, the first year it takes absolutely ages for everything to grow - I'm in my 3rd year now and it's - wow, those have grown fast. Basically, once they are in the ground I just check for bugs and problems; and try to let nature get on with it.

My moon trial tomatoes looked absolutely rotten last night though - both sets had shrivelled leaves - even though other toms growing a foot away and put in the ground 2 days before are looking fab. No idea what's happened - I can only think it was yesterday's wind. I hope I don't lose the lot...

Comment

This is why I love this grapevine - its good to learn that it's not just me being crazy I too am an impatient first timer but things are beginning to grow at last and I have begun eating the first things in my veggie plot so stick with it cos it gives a great sense of satisfaction (even so I still check to see if the veggies have suddenly had a growth spurt whilst I turned my back putting my wellies on, and again taking them off, and again after a cuppa, and again before lunch, and again......and again... and again......)

Comment

Lettuce!

Grow some lettuce. It's really fast you'll be harvesting in no time. Radishes too, if you like them, they're ready in about a month.
                            The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it. -John Ruskin

http://wormsflowers.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think you need a time lapse camera that takes a couple of shots a day, when you play it back quickly you'll be so much prouder of your first crop.

Patience comes with time, I only really get annoyed if something harms my brood, mr slug is my main concern at present, but I am sure that mr blackfly will be shortly aswell.
                              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X