Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardener's death linked to Compost inhalation.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardener's death linked to Compost inhalation.

BBC NEWS | Health | Gardeners warned over wood mould

I've just read this article and i've got to say i'm a little shocked. I assume that it was only breathing in the spores that was a problem maybe if the wood was wet this chap would still be around. Greatest of sympathies to the family and just in case anyone here works on a large scale i guess this should be a lesson.

D
    www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
    www.outofthecool.com
    http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

You can also get legionnaire's disease - which triggered a similar discussion on here recently.
    Daily Mail article
    Vine discussion

Without in any way wishing to diminish the experiences of individuals who are affected, I think it's important to remember how rare these problems actually are and not to become unduly worried in response. (And to remember that gardening *is* very good for you, in so many ways, despite the occasional bad things that can happen to a few unlucky individuals.)
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Now dont Panic...

I have read that the compost which might have caused this sad death was Coir Based with originated in the tropics.

So I for one will carry on potting.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Coir is a coconut product. My wife had a friend who died after inhaling the dust from a coconut mat when shaking it.

Comment

For goodness sake - are we panicking or what???????? You could get run over by a No. 9 bus tomorrow. Do you want to stay indoors for ever in case you come into contact with something nasty? Mind you, there's plenty of nasty stuff indoors too!! Chemicals from paint, carpets etc. Chemicals from cleaning products, Allergies from dust. Are we all going to start "living" in sterile plastic bubbles or are we going to continue to enjoy our lives and accept the (minimal) risks that are part of living a full, normal life.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            ... or are we going to continue to enjoy our lives and accept the (minimal) risks that are part of living a full, normal life.
            I pick that one
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Surely you're not saying that we shouldn't warn people if something may be dangerous?
              No one is saying to wrap yourself up in cotton wool and sit in a padded cell, it's just a heads up.
              If you didn't know that swallowing bleach may kill you, wouldn't you like someone to tell you?

Comment

Rather worrying in some respects as I have been shifting about 3 Tonne of woodchippings by the barrowload for my paths recently! As soon as the crust was broken the mould was evident as it was starting to decompose. The sweet smell of cyanide was also evident from the laurel chippings

Be careful folks, it's a jungle out there!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Whilst I have every sympathy for the families of the deceased, my only reaction to the causes of their tragic deaths can be "Yeah, and?"
                  I live within fallout distance of a nuclear power station and 4 miles from a polymer plant which, if it went up, would make Flixborough look like a pop gun. I spent many years in Ellesmere Port when it had the largest area of potentially explosive/toxic plant in Europe. A 1 in a million chance of rogue bugs in rotten wood or crap compost is the least of my worries.
                  As for you Snadger, there shouldn't be any problems. The phrase "Hard as a Geordie doorman" isn't a joke
                  http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X