sprouts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprouts

The sprouts I planted out last month have put on alot of growth & there are signs of tiny ,tiny sprouts forming already but they are looking blown. Should I dig them up & plant out some spare ones given to me by another gardener - These are alot younger plants. We had fearsome winds a couple of weeks ago & I wonder if they got rocked & loosened in the groud. Any advice please.

How big were the sprouts when you planted them? Ideal size for planting out is around six inches tall, plant in firm ground and they won't start to produce anything like sprouts for months. You should be planting young plants around now to grow through the summer and produce sprouts in Autumn/Winter. Which varieties do you have? Did you grow them yourself or buy them in? I find it hard to believe they are producing sprouts already.

Comment

I grew them from seed "Seven Hills" was the variety. On the packet it said sow under cover Feb - March. They were quite ready to go in when I planted them about 6" tall and looked really healthy.The sprouts forming are really very tiny but enough to see they are blown.

Comment

If you have a decent camera, could you post a pic?
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I will take one tommorow & post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
            If you have a decent camera, could you post a pic?
            Or if not an indecent one would do!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hope this works,trying to post picture of blown sprouts
              Attached Files

Comment

they look exactly like mine last year,all blown. i perservered hoping i would get better sprouts further up the plant but they were all the same,sorry.
                never be afraid to ask because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Comment

I think I'll dig them up then & re-plant some younger ones given to me & try again.

Comment

What does blown mean?
                    pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

blown means it (the sprout) isn't in a tight little ball - it is wide like a tiny cabbage

Growbag - are they really really firm in the ground? sprouts hate loose behaviour (behave!)
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Noooooooo - don't dig them up. My first year brussel sprouts did this (I didn't know about the ground having to be hard and firm) and so I picked them, sliced them up and fried them in olive oil with an onion, a bit of garlic and some pine nuts. Delicious!

PS My plants are still very tiny. Only about 4 inches tall. In fact I was beginning to get a bit worried about them!
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

When I planted them I firmed them in with all my might but we had such strong winds here a few weeks ago, I guess that has rocked them loose

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X