X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use grey water for my veggies?

Hi all,
    Not been here for about a year!
    Sorry if this has been asked already. If anyone knows where it to find the answer instead of repeating, please feel free to point me in the right direction! (....and breathe...)

Can I use grey water from my toddlers bath to water the veggies I am growing? It has the smallest bit of shampoo in it some days and some days he gets blue bubble bath. I think the shampoo baths would be ok but what about the bubble bath baths?

Thanks in advance
    Morty

I've been using it since the 70's and i'm still alive.lol.Ithink it should be ok i've never had problems with it.Bear in mind people use slug pellets,insecticides ect without a problem.
    Last edited by Cloud; 14-06-2008, 08:32 PM.
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

you can ask 100 people and get 101 answers!
      http://www.freewebs.com/notesfromtheplot/ **updated**

Comment

It is recommended that you don't use grey water on plants that you eat, ie salad (because of bacteria or residue risk). Greywater can be used for watering the garden, but it’s not wise to regularly water vegetables or salad crops with this, as it can contain high levels of detergents, which are not good for plants.

In addition, greywater often contains faecal colifoms (just think what bits of you get washed in the bath!), which if ingested can cause illness.Yorkshire Water :: Water harvesting
        It should be safe on flowers though. Use it straight away, don't try and store it.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-06-2008, 09:24 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Refer to my original post!!!!!!!!!
          The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

My local water authority recommends against bath water on edible crops due to the risk of fecal contamination.

Make of that what you will.

(Incidently my spell checker wanted to change fecal to facial.)
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

So I take it that that cat poo is the same then

Comment

Hang on I'll ask my cat..........
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

We use organic, chemical free, and earth-friendly products in the bath, shampoo and washing up, and clothes washing etc... so I would think these are ok for garden use, so long as they are not stored too long.

janeyo

Comment

So what did the cat say then?

Comment

was wondering the same thing couple of days ago(grey water not what the cat said!)think like starchid says"ask a 100 people......"to be honest getting our grey water from home to lottie think i may just save it for the flowers!..also;hes stopped now but my youngest used to drink the bath water & seemed to do him no harm!(we did encourage him not to!)
                      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Did me no harm as I write this with my third arm

Comment

All the fields around here - which grow food - were fertilised with 'night-soil' in past generations. This was human poo collected by the 'night soil man' who took what you emptied from your guzunder. We are all still here.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

several years ago when we had a drought,what i did was,let the washing machine do it's wash and 1 rinse,then collect the other rinse water for the garden,it was a performance disconecting the outside pipe work,and keeping an eye out for the moment,but was well worth it,also if you need to use the bath water just be carefull and aware of what you use in it,as for the said possible faecal contamination,why not make use of a,how would one put it,pre-wash,baby wipes,becom inventive in times of need,at the time i had a veggy plot in part of the home garden,so was handy,i had a water barrell,nearer to the water collection point for when needed,now have a lottie.
                            Last edited by lottie dolly; 15-06-2008, 10:30 AM.
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                              All the fields around here - which grow food - were fertilised with 'night-soil' in past generations. This was human poo collected by the 'night soil man' who took what you emptied from your guzunder. We are all still here.
                              Did our ancestors never crap through the daytime then? Or did 'the man' sneak around furtively through the night carrying a bag of crap!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X