impatient now and potato question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impatient now and potato question

just been out and watered my errrrr soil ....... its looking lovely ....all i want is one green thing and i'll be temporarily happy

planted my 2 dried out pineapple tops today in the tropical part of the garden behind the pond, and also planted the strawberry and tomato plants i got today ..... i know they are green, but i want something green that came from a seed

i have a potato query .... i did search but got bogged down with irrelivent stuff .......i know there are some reasons why you should use seed potatoes, cos i read about it, but i had 10 in the back of my cupboard with shoots on, so i chucked them in the bed i cleared today, will that be too many (if they grow) for a bed approx 7 foot by 3 foot?? (i did look for seed potatoes, but i'm limited in where i can get stuff and couldn't get any). yeah i know, wrong time of year, i just want to see what happens,
    thanks

lynda xx

Lynda, you have to be patient. It doesn't all come up overnight.
    As for your potatoes - they will grow. Try stopping them. Even the potato peelings from the compost heap grow.
    The reason for planting seed potatoes is they are guaranteed disease free. Your potatoes from the supermarket MIGHT be fine. If you are growing in containers it really doesn't matter as you won't contaminate your soil. If planting in the ground and they are diseased the soil will be contaminated for potatoes for years to come.
    With luck your potatoes will be fine. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

They should grow ok.The reason you should use seed pots is that they are free from disease and have been treated>
      The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Limiting the amount of space for the spuds to grow will just limit the number and size of the spuds you harvest. The area and numbers quoted in books is the 'IDEAL'. Oh to live in the ideal world. Yes they should grow and yes they should produce a crop.
        The only bit confusing me is imagining Manchester with a 'Tropica'l bit
        Unless you meant tropical as in rain forest
        http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

HRUMPHHHHHHH i live near the base of the pennines, and it has surprisingly little rain compared with manchester itself, i think the clouds dry up after peeing on mancs, and then save it for yorkshire i have banana trees, bamboo, yucca's that got too big for the house, acer, dracaena, black bird of paradise that are about 2 inches high, black bat plants that are growing really well, bamboo palm, a couple of passifloras in deep red and purple, and a couple of other things that i've lost the labels off and have no idea what they are ...... except for being tropical lol ........ it's looking very tropical behind my pond ....... so THERE !!!!!!!!

so do you think the potatoes are a bit close? cos i can move them when they grow a bit and i've dug more garden ...... i just want to get everything in lol ........ it's not overnight Alice ....... lol it's been at least 3 days

oh well if i get diseased potatoes, i will have to take that allotment after all ....... mind you with the amount of stuff i've planted just to make sure i'll probably need the allotment anyway, i'm sure my garden isn't big enough if everything does actually grow

Lynda xx
          Last edited by lynda66; 14-06-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Lynda66

I have no problem with all the rain dropping on the Mancs either, but if your not in M/cr why put it down as your location?

NN
            If there is no football and gardening in heaven - I'm not going.

Comment

I would like to pee on the Mancs lol[Liverpool supporter].Seriously you have done well I've tried to grow some of the things you have and can't.Well Done.
              The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                just been out and watered my errrrr soil ..
                why are you watering soil?
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by nick nack View Post
                  Lynda66

I have no problem with all the rain dropping on the Mancs either, but if your not in M/cr why put it down as your location?

NN
                  cos i live at the far end of east manchester lol ....... and everyone knows where that is

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                    I would like to pee on the Mancs lol[Liverpool supporter].Seriously you have done well I've tried to grow some of the things you have and can't.Well Done.
                    hey, they haven't grown yet lol, unless you mean my tropical rainforest

so far it's all been pretty easy, and i haven't killed them , but theres plenty of time yet, i killed a spider plant and a 70 year old aspidistra once ........ and everyone said that was impossible
                    Last edited by lynda66; 14-06-2008, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      why are you watering soil?
                      was a bit bored lol ......... there are seeds underneath it, ........ honest, i'm only a little bit mental, but not quite mad enough to do it for no reason, anyway it keeps me off the streets

Comment

Whereabouts in east M/cr?

NN

Comment

ashton u lyne

Comment

Not far from me in sunny Stockport then.

Myself not believing in the Greater M/cr crap wouldn't put M/cr if I lived in Ashton U Lyne? Each to their own.

NN

Comment

nick nack I see you like footy.Whose your team?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X