No announcement yet.

Growing Veg on a Bale of Straw

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further progress Report: Crushed chicken manure pellets watered in on Sunday night - when I went again last night, the bale was definitely feeling warm! - I take that as a good sign that things are working internally within the bale. At the weekend, when hopefully the heat has subsided, I will make some planting holes, add some manure and plant up a couple of pumpkins and cucumbers.

Skotch
    Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Any chance of some photos?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        Any chance of some photos?
        I aim to get to the allotment tomorrow night. At the moment, all there is to see is a bale of straw, wrapped in blueish coloured plastic sitting next to a pile of manure! I will keep a record of what is happening and will definitely post a piccie once I have something planted in the bale

Skotch
        Last edited by Skotch; 24-06-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Finally gotten around to taking some piccies of the allotment - here they are (hopefully). Planted in the bales are 3 squashes - maybe a bit ambitious, but you never know! One of the older allotmenteers said it may be worth adding some topsoil and compost to the top of the bale which may encourage more rooting.

I welcome any comments you may have and will keep you updated

Skotch

Comment

well your squashes are huge compared to mine, which were planted on 12th june, mine have only just got the second lot of leaves coming through, they are planted directly in the garden, so the straw must be helping in some way

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
              well your squashes are huge compared to mine, which were planted on 12th june, mine have only just got the second lot of leaves coming through, they are planted directly in the garden, so the straw must be helping in some way
              These were started in a pot and kept in a pot for a while - they are smaller than the others I have growing more traditionally in a well manured bed:

Comment

ITS NOT FAIRRRRRRRRRRR everything of mine is at a standstill I WANT VEGGIES ........... NOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

The ones i planted indoors about a week later are only slightly bigger but nowhere near the size of yours
                Last edited by lynda66; 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Just spotted this thread...Ive been using the bale method to grow toms in my greenhouse this year, having seen it done at the Burton Agnes House in North Yorks. The toms have grown ok, but not any better I dont think than the way I usually grow them, i.e. in large pots of compost in the greenhouse. The bale is a bit big and tends to fall apart, even though Ive got it wrapped round in polythene, so its been making a bit of a mess. Its been interesting, but Im not sure Ill bother next year...
                  Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted...

Comment

I for the life of me, can't see why you'd bother, unless you really had no other option for growing, and no soil in which to do so. Or if you had a surplus of old straw bales.

---

I have done something similar though, with couch grass/nettle/bramble roots: I had tons of them, lying in a heap to slowly rot down, so I have planted some Foxgloves on the top. I'll do Nasturtiums too if I can find my seeds.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I for the life of me, can't see why you'd bother, unless you really had no other option for growing, and no soil in which to do so. Or if you had a surplus of old straw bales.
                      As I said originally - it could be easier for some crops. No digging, just water and compost/manure and grow where you want to not where the soil dictates. Its only a trial, and if it proves too bothersome then I won't continue. I also see the remnants of the bale as good mulch/compost material when its done it's job, so maximising value for money.

So far it's not cost any more than any other method and hasn't taken any additional time to set up or maintain

Will keep you updated

Skotch

Comment

Originally posted by Skotch View Post
                        So far it's not cost any more than any other method and hasn't taken any additional time to set up or maintain
                        It's great as an experiment. There's more here: How to Grow a Straw Bale Garden
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Do you have to keep widdling on it?
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            Do you have to keep widdling on it?
                            I hope not!! It was just to provide an initial source of nitrogen to get the original material to start reacting/combusting.
                            Last edited by Skotch; 14-07-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I used the RHS technique, watering the bales, adding blood and bone manure and wrapping them in black plastic. I used bubble wrap for extra insulation and was amazed by how hot they got 56C, too hot to sit on in the green house. The blood and bone smelt terrible, I would use a chemical fertilizer next time. Generally the technique worked perfectly, I grew tomatoes and courgettes. With the tomatoes I planted them on the top but with the courgettes I scooped a large pocket in the top of the bale, which made it much easier to water. At the end of the season the centres of the bales had completely disintegrated I threw what remained over the lawn and mowed it up with the mower and added it to my compost where it broke down very quickly. Great on a paved area or where you are short of soil depth, near hedges or big trees.
                              Last edited by Anne Love; 25-07-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

what brilliant ideas...i have a load of old straw bales in the loft of our barn (garage) and have had real problems with blighted tomatoes this year - might try the bales next year...thanks everyone...
                                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X