Potato sacks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato sacks

Does anyone have any tips on where I can get paper sacks for storing the potatoes?

Try your local Fruit Shops they should have some as they get prepacked spuds in paper sacks should be free aswell

Max.

Comment

Or if you want new, Ascott Smallholding supplies sell bundles of 25kg paper sacks - or if you have a potato grower near you, do what I did and go and cadge a load !!
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I came across a possible alternative as I was moving some stuff around today.

I had saved a 'strong' paper bag which the cat litter arrived in (b martins wood chip).

You may not consider it light-proof enough so one inside another may be necessary - but if the string stitching is carefully removed when opening you have 2 nice strong carry handles. Guess each bag would hold around 10lbs of spuds - witness the metric rebel!

So if you or your friends have cats and do the litter tray thing - ask them to save a few rather than bin them!
        Last edited by quark1; 18-06-2008, 02:24 PM.

Comment

have not sourced paper sacks but my local hardware shop has hessian sacks that they get there wild bird peanuts in and they will give these away if you catch them at the right time. might be worth an enquiry where you live

Comment

Countrywide usually stocks them if you have a store near you. (But you'll have to buy a pack of 20 or 25, so better to find a few fellow gardeners who are willing to share the cost.)
            Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Last year there was a couple of people selling them on eBay? I haven't looked yet this year but that was where I was planning to get mine from, as I don't think I'll have enough to warrant 'a bundle' from Ascott

EDIT:
              Now I have looked, and there are plenty of 'Packs of 50' , but also a few selling 10 or 3, just search for Potato Sacks
              3 x 3 ply Paper Potato Bags / Sacks on eBay, also, Other Garden, Garden Plants, Home Garden (end time 23-Jun-08 18:40:43 BST)
              Last edited by SarzWix; 18-06-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Just go scrounging in the bins of your local chip shop..........you'll find loads for nowt!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

we got a load from our local pet shop.

Comment

oops ,I meant hessian sacks ,great for storing stuff.

Comment

Question from a complete novice - I see that you can get the hessian sacks - is there any difference - what is best for home storage ???? (In the garage)....
                      AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

Originally posted by Pieman View Post
                        Question from a complete novice - I see that you can get the hessian sacks - is there any difference - what is best for home storage ???? (In the garage)....
                        I personally think the multi layered paper sacks store stuff better and keep out the light.
                        If the garage was windowless and no light could get in to turn the spuds green, theoretically hesian sacks would be ok. I've even stored mine in cardboard boxes!

The easiest and traditional way is to store is in a clamp. I tried this for the first time last year with great success and will be using this method again this year!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X