Pea's

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea's

I've decided that next year I'm not going to grow Pea's.I think that frozen Pea's taste just as good.
    The only thing I will miss though is eating them sraight out of the pod which no supermarket could ever recreate.
    Maybe I will grow just a couple of plants,but I think the space[which is minimal,until I can get an allotment] can be used used to grow veg that I love such as Parsnips,Swede,Carrots,Beetroot ect.
    Doe's anyone else think that frozen pea's taste just as good?
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

having not had peas straight out of the pod since i was a kid, yeah i'd say frozen peas are great, but if my peas grow, then i may change my mind

also tinned garden peas are a must with shepherds pie ...... frozen ones just dont do it right

Lynda xx

Comment

I asked my OH what he thought about fresh peas v. frozen as he's busy tucking into some fresh from the garden. He said that 'our' peas are fresh, sweet, tasty, succulent but not watery and that they'd win out every time against frozen.
      I have to say that I'd always been told you may as well have frozen, and have grown peas for the first time this year. Yes, I like peas straight out of the pod, but I absolutely love them after they've been boiled for 2 minutes or steamed for 3-4! Cooked for such a short time the flavour is incredible!

Comment

Yeah but I can't taste the difference between frozen and fresh cooked peas>
        The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Wouldn't be without the snack on the lottie. All the peas I grow are consumed on the lottie and none reach the saucepan. This year I will have sown 4 X 6ft rows.

Ian

Comment

Frozen peas do still taste pretty good compared with other frozen v fresh veg, but I love popping them out their cases and eating them there and then... my kids do too which is a big bonus as it's probably one of the only veg they'll eat raw like that

Comment

Cloud, are you picking them on the small side, cooking them within minutes of picking them and only cooking them for a short time? If so, you should be able to tell the difference. None of our peas reach the size of frozen Petits Pois!

Comment

Peas straight from the pod are totally gorgeous...we only ended up cooking one lot, and that was just throwing them in with some basmati about a minute before the rice was drained.

But, once they have gone over; they taste horrible. I would definitely prefer frozen to those.

Comment

Sorry guys but frozen or fresh there is no difference only when you eat them straight from the pod can you tell.

Comment

oh i dunno, though, frozen pee might be a bit painful

Comment

I wouldn't bother to grow peas to cook, I'd never get enough to keep my lot going. I've grown alderman in previous years, but thought I'd try a dwarf one this year. Very disappointed, I can't remember the name atm, but even small they taste 'harvested', as my mum used to call it. Me and my daughter usually eat them all straight from the pod, she didn't want these ones!
                      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like them raw Cloud and frozen peas can't compete with that. I eat them straight from the pod - or if I'm not being too greedy - I add the raw peas to the salad.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Why not try something like "Half pint" in a hanging basket? I have never tried this, but got the seeds to put on my ofice windowsill (and spotted the pack again last night after I had cleared away all my sowing stuff.....). I would have thought they might suit a large basket - certainly a pot on a patio or windowledge - and might overcome your space issues??

Comment

Hi
                            Frozen peas means a trip to the supermarket and a plastic bag to throw away. Also they are devalued by being available all year. Part of my enjoyment from the allotment is getting back in tune with seasonality.

Grow your own and there is something to anticipate, gorgeous peas and when they are gone it's on to the runner beans and looking forward to the early May peas next year.

Also with frozen peas there's no peapods for soup and nothing for the compost bin and no nitrogen nodules to enrich the soil.
                            Sue

Comment

I think frozen are pretty good , im gowing a few plant's for me to pick at while in the garden not enough for dinner but just enough for me.
                              Live long and prosper.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/jojo333_photos/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X