Bare broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare broad beans

I have a few broad bean plants (leftover seed) they have been doing fine and had loads of flowers. I was expecting the flowers to be followed by the pods - but nothing has happened.
    I am a little confused. Is this not how they usually go??
    Most of the flowers have now dropped off, leaving a bare stalk behind. I fed them when the flowers appeared and there doesn't seem to be any sort of infestation.
    Any ideas??
    Tx
    Tx

not sure about veggies, but when flowers have been pollinated, normally the flowers fall off and the seed pod grows from the bit the flower was attached to,as once they are fertilised, they don't need to attract insects any more ....... presumably its the same with veg?

but then i could be talking a load of rubbish as normal
    Last edited by lynda66; 18-06-2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

The same thing happened to me, but about a week later the first small bean appeared. Leave it a while, I'm sure yours will do the same.
      Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm really disappointed with my broad bean crop too this year. I have three big pots, one massive one containing about 6 plants and two smaller ones containing three plants each. They had loads of flowers and now have a few pods growing anything from a couple of cm in length to about 3". However there's not many overall so I can us having a very paltry crop. I'm gutted as I've been really looking forward to these.

Comment

For the first week or so my broad bean flowers just dropped off, but once the bees had worked out where they were we had a bumper crop. Hope it happens this way for you!

Comment

Have you got polinators Tootles. Have you seen the bees buzzing about. I wouldn't give up just yet. Wait a week and see what happens. I hope your beans appear.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I started mine in the greenhouse in modules at the beginning of feb this year and planted out under cloches at the end of feb, despite advice about distance I planted them about 2 - 3 inch apart.
              My crop has now finished and I have had 5 full carrier bags of broad beans from 100 plants, when I planted them out I had comments of you wont get any crop as they are too close together but the old guys who seem to know everything are now saying that maybe planting early and close may have its merits.
              I reckon I have time for anoter crop yet if I start some more seeds off.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

My crop was poor too - I only had one or two pods on each stem. (Aquadulce) The scarlet flowered look much better though.
                Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I think you are expecting miracles to get a great crop from 12 plants, Serendipity. Most people grow many more than that. The only broadie I have as few as that is one I am growing on for seed (Crimson Flowered). Try a few more next year. Good luck with them.
                  Last edited by Flummery; 19-06-2008, 07:56 AM.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have had loads of broad beans from 50 plus seeds that i planted last november they are just about finishing now and I am going to cut them back and see if they produce anymore as someone has suggested unless im desperate to use the ground.
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

I have done successional planting of broadies (first lot went in in november) and am getting a steady return back - I used Sutton.

Pods do indeed follow the flowers but I think there is a 'gap' in time, not really sure as I've never really checked. I will look at the next lot ready to flower and report back
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        I think you are expecting miracles to get a great crop from 12 plants, Serendipity. Most people grow many more than that. The only broadie I have as few as that is one I am growing on for seed (Crimson Flowered). Try a few more next year. Good luck with them.

I know but I expected a few more than half a dozen pods.

Unfortunately I haven't got an allotment so am having to squeeze everything in to a not very big garden. I will plant more next year I'll just have to clear some more space (or keep working on my husband to turn our postage stamp of a front garden into a raised bed area, lol)

Comment

If it's any consolation, I have never managed to get a decent crop of broad beans and still can't work out why.

Just like you, they flower, but very few "set" into pods. You're right to expect more than half a dozen pods from one plant, let alone 12.

All I can suggest for next time is more water and more flowers to attract your pollinators.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                            If it's any consolation, I have never managed to get a decent crop of broad beans and still can't work out why.

Just like you, they flower, but very few "set" into pods. You're right to expect more than half a dozen pods from one plant, let alone 12.

All I can suggest for next time is more water and more flowers to attract your pollinators.
                            I've been watering the religiously and there's lots of bees around as they're right next to the herb bed which has lots of lavender at the back and chive flowers.

Must just be me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X