My First crop of Garlic!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First crop of Garlic!

I'm so excited! I was just having a little pootle round the garden, picking the broad beans and strawberries that were ready tucked here and there among the flowers, when I noticed that my Early Purple Wight garlic were all yellow and bent over. Oh no! I thought - then remembered that they're actually supposed to do that when they're ready. Heart pounding excitedly (yes I know - I'm obviously very sad ) I dug one up. I've grown garlic, for the first time ever! I've now dug them all up and plaited them together and hung them for everyone to admire in the kitchen. I'm so thrilled! Although, come to think of it, perhaps I've been a bit over enthusiastic plaiting them within minutes of digging them up? Am I supposed to wait for them to dry a bit before I do that?

I'm now waiting with baited breath for my other varieties of garlic to start looking ill and keeling over Now if only that was a good sign with tomato plants ....

Well done you!!!

How about posting a pic? I would love to see them.

Wren

Comment

Fantastic - Wren I was just about to ask the same thing! I'd love to see the plaited garlic
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Photo

Here's a photo of my first potatoes (from the greenhouse) and the plaited garlic. It isn't the greatest work of art ever - but I'm proud of it anyway
        I then went out and harvested my elephant garlic, which is also great.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice!
          Thanks for the pic
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Well done Caroline. I can see a smug trug thread coming on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

if your friends don't like garlic, find some new friends

pics look great!

Comment

Looks good, I love trugs.

Comment

Wow, I am impressed.

Next year for me maybe, up to now have always planted at the wrong time.

No wonder it was so small

Comment

I do not wish to put a damper on the proceedings but i think you have plated them to soon you have to dry them out first the leave's go white and crisp like thin paper nice and dry mine are hanging in the greenhouse at moment and will be for the next three weeks .
                    If you store them in the kitchen they will not keep because to much moisture in the air they will shoot and start growing they want to be kept in a dry airy place jacob marley
                    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I will agree with jacob on that point. But nice looking garlic CarolineW
                      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Thanks Jacob and Vegnut. Got a bit carried away with enthusiasm there! Never mind, now I know for the rest of the garlic that I've cropped. And I'm using up the original garlic so fast that hopefully it'll survive the bad treatment it received! I'll hang the rest of my garlic in the shed, well away from steamy kitchens

It's my first full year of gardening, and there's so much to learn - but I'm having loads of fun learning, even if I do make loads of mistakes

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement and advice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X