Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parsnips - do I need to keep them netted?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips - do I need to keep them netted?

Question is in the title! When I planted out the parsnips I netted then in case the birds took a like to them. They are now well established, so do I need to keep the net on?
    Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Birds don't go for parsnips. They tend to be attacked by slugs and carrot root fly, and net won't protect against these, of course.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Nope- never had a problem with birds and parsnips...you should be fine.

Well done at getting the darned things to germinate!!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Your parsnips will be fine now Gwyndy.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I agree with the birds! I don't like parsnips either! They will be fine, don't worry.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks everyone - nets off at the weekend.

Nicos - I sowed the seed in Rootrainers indoors. They germinated in a week! I was amazed as this is the first time that I have grown parsnips and all the books say that germination is very slow. They were transplanted when the top growth had got to about 2" and they are thriving - so far!! (Trying to remember the variety but having a senior moment and I'm not going to the allotment now just to read the label!!)
            Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Our parsnips are one of the few things that survived the slugs in my roots bed. I heard they were unpredictable but I sowed them direct and well over half germinated and are doing well.

Is it right that you need new seeds every year?

Michelle

Comment

The only thing that ever went after my Parsnips was my Grandma, now i just hide her slippers.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Well something has bitten the ends of my big parnsip leaves overnight - the bigish carrot leaves too. I wouldn't be too grumpy only I onyl had 7 parsnips!

Could be a deer. Or it has to be the bloody pigeons. My sons pumpkin leaves kepe going too, but no sign of slug damage anywhere

janeyo

Comment

Flapjack - yes, apparently you should use new seed each year. I don't know why. Maybe it's a bit of clever marketing by the seed companies!!

Comment

Fresh seed germinates far more easily than older seed.
                      I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Here's a photo of my Parsnips - I used a full packet of fresh seed in a 3.5 metre row and looks like every seed germinated. These are now about 6 inches high.
                        Attached Files
                        I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X