Bush variety courgettes in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush variety courgettes in pots

Hi, I'm growing two types of bush type courgettes, Spineless Beauty and also a yellow/golden one (can't remember name). They are just about big enough to be planted out but I want to grow some of them in containers. Can anyone give me any idea as to how big they grow, what size of pot to use and how many per pot please. I have a big concrete planter probably about 50cm diameter, would I be able to get more than one in this?

They do grow quite large.

For size comparison this one is planted into half an up ended grow bag, so you can get an idea how large a plant it is .

Hope that helps.

Wren

Comment

I was thinking of planting mine in buckets, or possibly 2 to a 26l tub... Looking at that picture, I'm not sure whether that's a good idea?

Wren - what variety is that?

Just checked the info on mine - I'm growing All Green Bush which is described as "compact" and Gold Rush F1 which is described as "vigorous". I reckon the All Green Bush might go in buckets alright, but it looks like the Gold Rush will need a 26l tub each! Good thing I've got plenty
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Wow, Wren that looks fantastic! What variety is it?

Someone else I know has suggested putting one per black plastic florist bucket but I may try your growbag method.

Can't wait, I love courgettes.

Comment

eeeeeeeeeekkkkk do cucumbers grow that big too?? i've planted about 50 lol

Comment

I don't think you'll get a huge crop from a courgette in a florist's bucket. I grew most of mine in the ground last year but had one left so I put it in a shrub-tub. It fruited well but grew like a triffid!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              I don't think you'll get a huge crop from a courgette in a florist's bucket. I grew most of mine in the ground last year but had one left so I put it in a shrub-tub. It fruited well but grew like a triffid!
              Perhaps that's just as well, I have about 12 of each type to plant and there's only four of us!!

Comment

The verity is courgette Zucchini F1 and the seed is from Carters tested seed range.

I have 3 plants grown at 4 week intervals. This is my 3rd year growing courgettes an i can honestly say these are the sweetest tasting, and most prolific variety i have grown yet and not one fruit has failed to grow fast to a 9 inch cutting length.
                Superb taste and reliable fruiting on good robust plants.

I can recommend them highly.

Wren

Comment

Fantastic looking plant, Wren!!!

Can I ask, how big is the growbag you are using??? It's just that
                  I have got about 8 courgettes to plant up to a bigger pot very soon, they are all bush varieties, and I would not be able to put them into the ground this year. First year growing, too :-)

Thanks,

norazina
                  Last edited by norazina; 20-06-2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Hiya Norazina

I just use the standard size growbag from B&Q, i think they are about 40-50 ltrs. You loosen up the soil inside them by banging them about a bit first, then you sort of make them fold in half and carefully split the two halves apart with a kitchen knife . Plant your courgette plants, one plant per half bag and you can even pop in a cane for extra support to tie the young plant too and the courgettes get a feed of tomato plant food once they have set fruit too.

I grow my tomatoes this way too now and it avoids the boil in the bag effect you get with growbags that are laid flat.

Hope that helps

Wren

Comment

I am growing courgettes in pots and we had our first one tonight. Sliced thin, olive oil, salt and pepper and cooked on the griddle, yummmy with fresh new potatoes and lamb.

Sorry, have been dying to share, so rewarding the first pick of the year it makes it all worthwhile.
                      I'm new to veggies, but trying !

Comment

Originally posted by Wren View Post
                        Hiya Norazina

I just use the standard size growbag from B&Q, i think they are about 40-50 ltrs. You loosen up the soil inside them by banging them about a bit first, then you sort of make them fold in half and carefully split the two halves apart with a kitchen knife . Plant your courgette plants, one plant per half bag and you can even pop in a cane for extra support to tie the young plant too and the courgettes get a feed of tomato plant food once they have set fruit too.

I grow my tomatoes this way too now and it avoids the boil in the bag effect you get with growbags that are laid flat.

Hope that helps

Wren
                        This helps a lot, Wren, thank you.

Will get on with growbag shopping today

norazina

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X