mulch question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulch question

as nothing has grown yet, other than my one shoot, that's probably a weed, will it be safe to add a lawn mowings mulch to the beds, or do i have to wait till they come up, then mulch round them??

cos darling son is going to mow the lawns today, and i'm not sure whether to compost them as normal, or mulch ........ i've never mulched before

(dont you just love the word mulch, or am i just strange?)

Lynda xx

I only mulch (definately a good word ) around established plants, I suppose it depends what you are growing and what you are mulching with. Grass clippings can rot down and go slimey so expecting new shoots to grow well when they are surrounded by rotting matter is a bit ambitious.

Comment

You are strange, but that's nothing to do with liking the word mulch!

Mulching and furtling; wonderful words and equally pastimes. Flange is another fab word.

What I would do, is to put it around the outside of the beds, so that once things are up you can just move it over and cover up the earth where nothing comes up/is sown.

But then again, by the time your stuff comes up it will probably be time to mow again, so perhaps compost this batch and use the next for mulching.
      Last edited by zazen999; 19-06-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

lol, why am i strange?? .... maybe a little eccentric?? or odd...... ok totally barking ..... but i'm happy in my own little world

ok, i'll compost it, i've never mulched before .... so i'l mulch when/if anything grows

mulch, mulch, mulch ....... hmmmmmm furtle is good too ...... i may have to spend a day incorporating both words into every other sentence

Comment

Mulch around your flange. Then it'll be ok to furtle!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I usually furtle first, then mulch my flange! but each to their own.

Comment

I dont know what flange means, but I'll tell you what is a good word (apart from Mulch ) ... TRUFFLE!
              Truffle truffle truffle it makes me smile just saying it.
              Can you buy mulch?
              And I'm no expert but I am a biologist (well, biology a-level student) and Mulch inhibits weed growth therefore putting it around unestablished plants may cause their growth to be inhibited...
              but what do I know!
              "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

Marmalade is also a really good word - it's got lots of syllables and yet it's so simple.

Careful with new grass clippings. They leach nitrogen out of the soil and your plants want that for themselves
                Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by New_Bud View Post
                  I dont know what flange means,
                  Flange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it also means the same as lettuce and beef curtains ....(oh to be 17 and innocent again)

and yeah i hadn't thought about why i was mulching my flange before i had a furtle ....... was just everyone else seemed to be doing it and i felt left out

Comment

gimboid is a pretty good word too

Comment

hahaha i knew the slang meaning 8-) just not the gardeners meaning hehe
                      "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

Just be careful not to furtle and mulch together incase it becomes felch!
                        http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by New_Bud View Post
                          hahaha i knew the slang meaning 8-) just not the gardeners meaning hehe
                          and there was me calling you innocent

Comment

Don't worry, happens a lot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X