Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me please, are they big enough?

Are these ready do you thinks?

they are the length of what you get in the shops, but not the girth... should I ignore that and have one off the plant?

Also is it acceptable to remove the severely tatty leaves from underneath?
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Eat them up!! I think the only rule with cucumbers is not to leave them to turn yellow or the plant will stop producing. If the leaves are really tatty, then remove them, I usually leave them until they turn brown.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Woohaa. there are loads on these plants, I shall have them coming out me ears.

I will pick one tomorrow and have some in my lunch.

Comment

I'd pick um Your have loads more cuc's to come imo they taste better smaller and the seeds inside are more edible then letting them turn marrow like .
        Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

wow, i'd have been far too excited to let them get that big ..... if i get one 1/2 that size i'll be happy

Comment

Absolutely scoffable. cucumber and vinegar sarnies. YUM
            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I've resisted thus far as my neighbours were humungous last year. kind of cucmber envy.

hahahahaha

Comment

wow they are huuuuuuuuuuge, pick em, i have never found it any harm to pick fruit a little early, ie beans carrots half the time they taste all the more sweeter

Comment

I'd have them scoffed. Well done MrDinkle.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think I must have a very dirty mind... I'm very impressed with the number of clean and sensible replies to this one.

Comment

the only reason u dont see them thinner in the shops is the eu rule on how cucumbers should be...commercial growers would proberly discard them even tho theres nothing wrong with them

Comment

Yup, the rest of mine would not pass the straight test neither

I had the biggest one off the plant and we had it in our salad tonight - yum yum yum. definitely recommend this variety - seeds of italy viridis ibrido or summin. my standard ridge ones are dinky in comparison.

Comment

If you've got loads, (or just one cause it's ace!) Make some tzatziki.
                          Grate 1/2 a cue, and salt it ( this draws the water out.) Leave it somewhere where it can drip.
                          Wait at least half an hour, then squeeze the gratings over the sink, and drop them in a bowl.
                          Mess up a garlic cloves day... as fine as you can make it, then throw this in,
                          A handfull of chopped mint, big or small,
                          erm.. oh yeah and some yoghurt. Greek would be traditional, but any plain yog' you like, maybe half a pint (300ml in new money? or what ever you like really, just make it white with green its in... but not too thin.)
                          Leave it a while, come back stir and enjoy.
                          Goes well with salad, bread, in sandwidges with grilled meat and fish... or in a sneaky spoonful as you pass the fridge.

By the way, there is a hot extreme version that is more a vehicle for garlic, and less cue' flavour, just add more garlic cloves to taste!
                          I know this isn't about growing, sorry. But we do grow them for a reason.
                          hope you enjoy
                          oh and if it sound like a boreing long recipie...
                          Grate salt squeeze, garlic mint youghurt... taste and grin.
                          Last edited by KellsSimon; 20-06-2008, 08:17 PM.
                          Simon Of Kells

Comment

sounds nice. Might have a go.

when you say 'salt it' what do you mean?

Comment

You can remove some of the lowr leaves if you wish, but I wouldn't use looking tatty as a reason. I have removed the lowest 4 or 5 leaves on my cuke plants (after they reached about 3 to 4 ft in height, but this was for entirely practical reasons - I needed access to their "watering points" without splashing leaves of the base of the stems.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X