Broad bean haulms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad bean haulms

My first lot of broad beans are coming to an end. I know I leave the roots in and dig them in but can I put the haulms into the compost bin as they have quite a lot of black fly on them or do I dispose of them another way because of this.

Thanks a lot

Chris

Put them in the compost bin. Since the plants won't be growing anymore then the blackfly won't be able to feed off the sap and they'll die; then they will contribute to the rotting process. Of course some may fly off and land on your precious veggies, but blackfly will arrive from many other sources anyway.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Would agree with Capsid. I've read of people burning them to get rid of blackfly, but I tend to just leave them somewhere relatively far from other vegetables to wilt a bit, then throw them in the compost heap. But that may be because I've got nothing to burn them in!

Comment

I've got a "Dalek" type compost bin with a lid. Chop up your bean haulms and shove them in, they will rot down well, and I find that blackfly are less portable than greenfly. It's usually ants that move them around, whereas greenfly actually fly.

Comment

Whilst On The Subject: Does Anyone Know If One Can Just Dig Broad Bean Haulms Into The Garden? Even With The Blackfly? dO THE ROOTS ADD NITROGEN TO THE SOIL LIKE RUNNER BEANS?
          Last edited by bobroberts; 16-07-2008, 02:16 PM. Reason: AFTERTHOUGHT

Comment

I'd dig the roots in, bob, but I compost the rest. Even with the blackfly. They are better sealed into my bin with its lid than they are loose in the garden.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yeah, blackfly compost down really well ~ extra protein.

(crush the plants a bit to squash the critters)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd come to that conclusion. Nice to know someone agrees with me.
                Thanks for answering both of you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X