No announcement yet.

Do pray tell, when do I pull up my JA?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do pray tell, when do I pull up my JA?

A kind grape sent me some Jerusalem artichoke tubers and I planted them and they grew and then they grew some more.

Anyhow, when do I know they are ready? The plants are like almost as tall as me and I ain't no dwarf. They not flowered yet.

Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

they can grow up to 10ft,don't know if any flower,ours never have.lift them in the autumn,making sure you get every bit of tuber(unless like us you dont mind them springing up again next year!)the one thing i find is that they dont store very well,so as with parsnips,harvest as you need,or if frost forecast & you want a few up i think you can store them in sand.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

thanks, I shall take your advice.

Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

They're grown for a winter crop MrDinkle. Leave them where they are - they do get very big. At the back end of the year the foliage dies down and they're ready, but you don't have to lift them all. Leave them in the ground and lift them as you want them. If you miss any (and you will) they'll regrow.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

The only thing I remember about JA's is that if you lift and eat them too soon, they are a very unsociable veg . Leave 'till the foliage dies back.
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I usually leave mine till after Christmas. It's good to have a bit of variety in the veg line when most things seem to be greens of one sort or another. I lift the last in March and re-plant.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I put my j a in a big pot without reading up on them much, but after seeing they can get so big im thinking i should put them in the ground.Can they be grown in pot's ?
              Live long and prosper.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/jojo333_photos/

Comment

With difficulty - they need lots of root room and have a tendency to blow over. I'd dig a big hole and plant them in the ground.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X