Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi i'm newbie

Hi this is my first thread and also my first year of growing vegetables

i have grown some pumpkins from seed and was just wondering where is the best place to put them

many thanks

louise
    a novice gardender wanting all the help and tips and techniques for my garden and hopefully my soon to be allotment

Hi Louhar, welcome to the grapevine. I'm a novice grower aswell and I also have pumpkin seeds growing. Pumpkins tend to run riot if you let them so to get the best from your pumpkins grow in the ground with a large area per seedling in finely raked. very slightly acidic soil (pH 6-7 so it doesn't make too much difference) make sure they're in a sunny spot because apparently they need roughly 6 hours of sunshine per day.

Can I ask which species of Pumpkin you're growing?
    "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

Pumpkin Spooktacular F1
      A very appealing 'Halloween' type with smooth, dark orange skin and delicious small fruits. Ideal for carving and painting for Halloween displays and great for pies! Vines may reach 3m in length so provide plenty of room. Halfhardy annual.

that's what it says onn the packet

i've been feeding it tomato food and since i have they have grown loads
      a novice gardender wanting all the help and tips and techniques for my garden and hopefully my soon to be allotment

Comment

oooh I didn't know if tomato food would work on pumpkin! Obv it does! I rescued a tomato plant from my local garden centre today (it was reduced to 50p and was looking wilted) so i should invest in some for my tomato plant and pumpkins!

Mine are giant pumpkins... yeah they're gonna be appaling

Where are you going to plant yours?
        "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

You do know that you can restrict pumpkin growth.

Comment

I know you can through pruning etc, but don't know of any other ways to be honest

Comment

If you want to grow a giant pumpkin give it some BEER!!!
              The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                If you want to grow a giant pumpkin give it some BEER!!!
                is that true?? and what kind of beer? i'm growing pumpkins for my son and his g/f for halloween ....... i only need 2
                Last edited by lynda66; 22-06-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Its got to be real ale!Well works for me.
                  The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X