onion stems falling over

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onion stems falling over

I planted sets in the Autumm. The bulbs are quite smallish & alot of the stems have fallen over at the base of the onion. Does this mean they are ready for picking or is it something more sinister?

Ready for picking, you can put the fork under them and start lifting them now.

Comment

Last year the stems went a bit brown & dried looking when they were ready. Will get my fork out tommorow then. Thanks

Comment

It's harvest time for overwintered onions. Mine haven't produced huge bulbs either, but apparently they are bigger than my daughter's. Be aware that these onions don't store as well as spring planted sets, so use them up.

Comment

Will do. have spring planted ones aswell for storing hopefully

Comment

Winter onions are normaly smaller than summer ones but your's sound as if you should be harvesting

Comment

Some of mine have bolted and I am using those up first. But I did notice this weekend that a number of them are also after falling over like yours - I am using them up as I need them but will probably harvest all that remains on the next fine day that I am up there.

Comment

Sorry can I tag on another onion question ?
                My onions were planted in raised beds spring, and most have been blown over (I presume blown over as it has been fairly stong winds recently and the ground is very soft) to an almost horizontal position, should I straighten them up and firm the ground or leave them be?
                The onion tops look very green and lush, none seem to be going to flower or look heavy.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X