how long do seeds last

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long do seeds last

The reason I ask this is that me and the good lady wife have been having some discussions around the topic, we have had our seeds now for a couple of years and I think we should get rid and buy some new ones, she feels that the expiery date on the packet is just a money making scam by the manufacturers? If anyone knows about this sugestions most welcome.

Many Thanks

Hi

The ones that DON'T last are parsnips, followed by carrots.

Pretty much everything else has a much longer shelf life than than the packets.

So, you're both right, but I would never chuck out seeds. If you don't want them we run a pretty good seed swap.

If you want to try a germination test, put some on some damp kitchen roll, put in a plastic bag or wrap in cling film and check every week; if they haven't germinated in 4-5 weeks then they are pretty much gone. Although parsnips do tend to take forever and a day so even then, you might not want to give up hope.

Comment

I've grown all sorts of things well beyond the sell by date. Mind you, I've been living in Yorkshire a long while, it might have rubbed off! About 20 years ago, my father-in-law sowed a pile of his grandad's turnip and swede seeds that they'd found in a tim in the cupboard under the stairs. They were pre-war - great germination. Don't believe all it says on the packet!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thank you both for the advice,

zazen999 will have a look at the seed swop part of the site.

Flummery I have been up in yorkshire now for nearly 10 years (originally from shropshire) and feel things are rubbing offf on me too.

anyway thanks. will keep all my seeds now, the only troublew now is My good lady wont let me buy anymore until these have all run out.

Oh well

Comment

Seed Shelf Life

Poultry Chat posted this poem about the shelf life of seeds. I'm sure you'll find it useful.
          Seed Shelf Life

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I read yesterday of a 2000 year old date seed germinating!!!
            Tx

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
              I read yesterday of a 2000 year old date seed germinating!!!
              And not only that, its genes were significantly different from modern varieries. Evolution had happened in the intervening years. You could do some mega cross-pollination experiments there!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I`ve had my ruunerbean seeds for 3 years and they are still going strong. In fact all my seeds are 3 years old and I`ve had no problems with them germinating.
                I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Did nobody like Poultry Chats poem.I found it so useful

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    Did nobody like Poultry Chats poem.I found it so useful
                    Love it Alice, thank you and so did OH. And we're not even from Yorkshire
                    TGR

Comment

I was always told by the old hands that the smaller the seed the shorter the shelf life. However I never throw seed away and don't even look at the dates when I sow, If they don't come up try another packet. Must admit that parsnip do need to be fresh, although I have ended up with several spare packets this year and as they are in sealed foil I'm hoping they will be good for next year.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        Poultry Chat posted this poem about the shelf life of seeds. I'm sure you'll find it useful.
                        Seed Shelf Life
                        Love this, very useful - Thank you for posting
                        A closed mouth gathers no feet

Bad crop = it's the weather's fault, Good crop = Green fingers - Hmm

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X