anyone growing melons this year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone growing melons this year?

I've got 3 growing in the greenhouse, planted them into the ground today; one is about a foot long (if it really stretched out!) and the others only have about 5 leaves. Am a bit worried that they are taking a while to take off.

I'm having a go at growing watermelon for the first time, Mine was slow to get going but has picked up in the last week or so

Comment

i have water and the orange ones,i am very dissapointed with them,they don't seem to be moving,this is my first time at trying to grow them,oh well,will see how they go on.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I'm trying them for the first time Queen of the Cobs. Got 3 seeds from another Grape. All germinated well. Have given 1 to a neighbour - turned out to be a great swap.
        The other 2 are in the conservatory. They're about 3 -4 feet high and doing little yellow bumps in the axles - hope they turn out to be flowers.
        I'm not really sure what I'm doing with them, but so far so good.
        They're doing far better than I ever expected.
        Hope yours do great.
        If I get any fruit at all I'll be delighted.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I've got 4 plants of Sweetheart F1.

I planted them out into containers not long ago (ended up going for 2 plants per 26l tub with the idea of trying to get 2 melons per plant). They are growing, but not quickly! I don't think they grow at all on cooler days, as they like the warmth... Still, I reckon (read, "hope"!) they've another 3 months or so before it gets too cold for anything to happen, and if they've only got to produce 2 melons each it doesn't seem to be asking too much... still, like Alice, I'll be happy enough to get any, especially if we get a typical British summer!
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Mine are still only small - me thinks I'll have to put them somewhere warmer than my heated greenhouse!!!

Jennifer
            Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

We've 3 melons and 3 watermelons growing, 1 each in growbags in the backyard greenhouse, about 12" long, 1 each in each of the greenhouses on the plots, and the others in the lean too on the shed. So far they seem to be doing ok, but not as big as I thought they'd be, but everyone on the plot has told us that melons wont grow on there, so we're hoping to try and prove them wrong!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I`m growing 2 in a big pot in my greenhouse. They are climbing up the canes but so far all I`ve had are male flowers. Am I meant to be doing something to get fruit? My first time growing melons.

Comment

Growing 3 varieties in tunnel - some in pots, some straight into the ground. Have 1 fruit on each of the 'Pasteque de Confiture' and the first female flowers on the others. I'm tickling them with a paintbrush to help set the fruit. They don't seem to grow at all on cloudy cool days, then really put on a spurt in the sun. Last year the first of the 'Green Nutmeg' was eaten on 19th July, but it isn't going to happen this year - very different start to summer.
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I've got an Ogen melon in the greenhouse that's doing ok, although mainly just male plants, so just waiting for the female ones... Watermelon (Sugar Baby) was growing brilliantly but has now gone down with powdery mildew, all growth has stopped and the plant is yellow. I've sprayed it twice with an organic spray, but is there anything else I should be doing?

Comment

Mine are too cold. 19C max last two weeks.:-(

Courgettes are doing well tho!

Comment

Got a couple of F1 Sweetheart in a greenhouse...slow going at the moment. Have grown a few times but last year was pathetic, year before was great...watch out for spider mite, I use predator mites...phytossylus? (no good at Latin)

Comment

I've got three melons on the go (seed donated by a fellow grape!) outside but in the shelter of the greenhouse. They seem to be doing okay, though no sign of flowers as yet, I presume it isnt warm enough? Will give them a feed tonight when I do some of my other crops to see if that'll help them along a bit.

If nothing happens in another couple of weeks I might pop a cold frame over them?
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I'm trying to but i keep telling myself that it is too cold outdoors at the mo. The space is there if they feel so inclined to get themselves into gear.

Comment

Melon updates?

Mine are growing up their canes, two sideshoots (arms) per plant - and one threw out a sideshoot and decided to climb up one pole of the greenhouse so I let it be. So that's potentially 9 melons from the 4 plants if I can get a fruit from each arm.... Big IF!! They are now around 2 foot or 2.5 feet tall, with a few flowers appearing over the last week or so, but no sign of any fruit setting yet.

How are others doing?
                              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X