WAY HEY Bokashi kitchen waste composters

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAY HEY Bokashi kitchen waste composters

WOW, just wanted to let everyone know how great I think these little beuties are, my wife got two about three weeks ago, we have filled one over a two week period you can put everything in even bone but I would suspec t that these take some time to decompose.

The idea is it ferments the food unlike traditional composters,and there is a tap at the bottom so every few days you can run off the liquid build up and use that as liquid fertiliser, I drained some off and last night and got about half a letre of brown goo, so have diluted down and fed me veg's.

at the end of the week I will be putting what is left into my composter to aid more breakdown, I think they are great.

Just wanted to let you know.

I have been thinking about getting a couple myself and your enthusiastic report has convinced me. I shall get some tomorrow. Thanks for telling us about your success

Comment

I'd never heard of them - just use a kitchen caddy and chuck contents in the composter twice a week. Pretty tempted myself now...

Thanks for the glowing report!
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Oooh I like the look of those! Not sure I need two, though. Hmmmm, will look at post-DIY budget and consider...

Comment

You definitely do need two! If you can leave the full one for a bit while filling up your second one, it does compost better. I've got two of them and they're great BUT don't ever use the results in your wormery, unless you've got about a million worms, as they can't take such a big load at one hit and tend to all die off (personal experience here!) and create the worst smell you've ever smelt. Also, would recommend you get them off e-bay as much cheaper (or they were when I bought them - think I got 2 for £40 though can't see that seller on e-bay at the mo) and definitely shop around for the bran - much cheaper in some places than others. You can also give the Bokashi bran to any hens you have, mixed in their food, which helps to stop them smelling. And the liquid that comes off really does help remove smells etc. from the drains!

Comment

They are fab, really help the compost (just make sure you bury it a bit and wait for the worm invasion!) and I put a load in my bean trench this year too. You're not supposed to bones in though as they won't "pickle". Can add meat remains, fish skins etc though. Ours takes a couple of months to fill as I don't put any veg waste in - am not willing to pay for the bran for something which will rot down without!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Have ummed and arrred over these for ages, however our local council is soon to introduce weekly food collections where you can put any food waste in (cooked and raw) and they take them to a local plant for recycling and energy production.

Food Waste Collection A Step Nearer
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Our council have no plans to do a food collection and I think I'd still use the bokashi as the benefits of using it in the garden appear to be very high.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

do they smell?
                  where do you keep them
                  how big are they

very very tempted..... do you need a regular supply of stuff to go in them?

Comment

Started using about 3 months ago. Interesting to see the comment about bones, the info leaflet I had said bones could go in, but I can understand the point about not rotting.

I do think they smell a bit - particularly when you take the top off to add something, the 'pickle' can be a bit strong.

Incidentally, I see in America the advice is to bury the contents, not to add to compost heap. Any idea why? I add mine, then put a bit of soil on top.
                    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

here's one of my composters (the one on the right isn't so good)
                      Attached Files
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The info on mine said defo no bones etc so have never added. It also told you that you could bury or put in the compost but I usually go for the compost heap, but like Kentvegplot, put a bit of soil or other compost material on top. Seems to work well. They also claim you can put it in wormeries but I'd be very dubious about putting that volume of anything in in one go.

Very cute composters there Two Sheds but not much use for meat fat and fish skins which is mostly what I put in mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Very cute composters there .... not much use for meat fat and fish skins which is mostly what I put in mine!
                          No, they are veggie like me. When I cook meat for Mr Sheds I go and put the waste in the street bin outside, or it stinks the house out.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
                            Incidentally, I see in America the advice is to bury the contents, not to add to compost heap. Any idea why? I add mine, then put a bit of soil on top.
                            Could it be something about rodents or other wild animals going for the part-rotted meat/fish products? I guess the smell might be better hidden if the contents are buried?
                            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I have two, we had been thinkning of getting them for some time and then one day we popped into tesco and low and behold the last set was on sale for £10.50 reduced from £42 I snapped them straight away and even checked the price at customer services before buying. I would definately recommend them as a great way of solving the landfill crisis we are having. I would do anything to help stop that and I live one mile from one so i have an extra incentive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X