Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick Tomata plants - is it Mosaic virus?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Tomata plants - is it Mosaic virus?

Hi guys,
    Newbie question, first time growing tomatoes (and veg in general!).

I had grown 4 bush type, and 4 'normal' type tomatoes, all at a fairly advanced stage. 6 of them then got brown patches on some of the leaves, and the edges of the leaves curled up. Looking around on the internet, I thought this might be mosaic virus. (Looked quite like this - http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images...rus_tomato.jpg)
    So, with much sadness, I put all the plants, pots, and soil, into the bin, so as to be sure not to keep the virus in the garden.

I planted some more plants, of a different variety, but now some of them seem to have the same symptoms?
    Anyone recognise the ailment? I've attached a pic of my current plants.

If it is Mosaic virus, does it mean all my attempts to grow tomatoes will be forever doomed?
    Thanks in advance,
    FP
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fpmie; 25-06-2008, 08:19 PM.

Doesn't look like mosaic virus to me. The discolouration of the leaves spreads from the veins, yours looks like it is effecting the leaf edges.

It looks like the plants have been scorched or have dried out. Are they outside or in a greenhouse?
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Hi, those leaves are familiar, it might be an idea to forward your pic to Royal Horticultural Society for a diagnosis (you may need to be member). They also currently have details on their website about contaminated manure causing abnormal growth - hopefully it isn't. I had it on my Runner Beans.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ure_19149.html
      Last edited by TinyT; 25-06-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Doesn't look like it, notice mosaic starts from the middle outwards on the leaves, on your plant its from the outside in.

Like Capsid says, they look underwatered
        "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

If they are going crispy from the edge they have been scorched. In any case, scorching is much more common (and less worrying) than mosaic virus. I'd assume the least worst case until I knew differently. But then I'm an optimist. (No, not someone who dispenses spectacles!)
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks guys.
            Thats what I was hoping you'd say, didn't want to have a virus rampant in the garden! Still, means I'm rubbish at looking after the tomatoes...!

I'm sure they didin't dry out though, they're in 2 grow-bags, outside, so have only been getting whatever natural sun there's been. I've been careful to keep an eye on the soil in the growbag, and it definitely didn't dry out.
            Also, not all the plants have been affected, maybe 5-6 out of 8? If they were too dry would they all be the same?

Sorry if this is all basic stuff....
            Thanks,
            FP

Comment

What other plants do you have? Because each plant has different water requirements, e.g if your tomato plants are flowering they need more water than when not.
              This is a great website with loads of tips, below is the link to the watering page so you can check to see if you've been doing it correctly by plant stage (its like my bible!)
              Watering Your Vegetables - Vegetable Expert (UK)
              "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

"Still, means I'm rubbish at looking after the tomatoes...!"

nah, I have scorch on two on mine. I've been growing Toms in greenhouses for more than 35 years ... mine have definitely been watered about as evenly and often as it is possible to do (I work from home and trot out to the greenhouse every couple of hours) Don't beat yourself up about it.

It is a pain though to grow things and then get a setback. I forgot to net my brassicas when I planted them out and the pigeons have decimated them. How stupid am I?
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X