Spuds in tubs - what did I do wrong

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spuds in tubs - what did I do wrong

I grew Swift in a barrel. Put compost on it as it grew. Watered it and spoke to it. It grew lots of green.

5 seed spuds in
    10 eating spuds out

The Present Mr Plot says tis the most spensive bag of spuds so far

What did I do wrong - scared of emptying other containers.
    BTW I harvested them cos the green was dieing back. I did not see them flower at all - we had been away for a week but not seen sign of flower

they are sposed to be earlies though
    any help would be appreciated

Not all varieties flower but don't know if Swift are supposed to. How large was your barrel?

Comment

Some varieties don't like to be grown in barrels, I have learned from testing that certain varieties (desiree spring to mind) do not like being in containers. Just put it down to experience, I would go for the heavy croppers, I always get a good yield from Cara, Pink Fur and Anya.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I have just read that Swift are not big croppers.
        [

Comment

I grew Swift in buckets - one seed spud per 10 litre pot. Didn't get a huge yield but better than yours - enough to feed four for one night and next day snacking. They seemed to like lots of water though. Sorry you had a bad experience with them - they were tasty!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

The reason they reccommend swift is they don't grow too tall . Friend of mine grew swift in the garden & tubs this year & the tubs were OK but not in the garden.

I don't think you can judge anything on this years performance though as it's been a strange old year all round.

If I were you I'd grow them again just not so many of them. 4 to a tub sounds a lot as well unless its a very big tub as I reckon on 12 - 15" between plants in the garden so they will be compeating for water & nutrients
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Filbert
              Not all varieties flower but don't know if Swift are supposed to. How large was your barrel?
              It was one of those spud barrels

Comment

Charlottes did well for me in tubs this year. Red Duke of York not so well. Still to harvest King Edwards, British Queen and Desiree. will report back on yields when we tip the tubs out.

Comment

As with the others, no experience of Swift - I had Arran Pilot, Foremost and Charlotte in buckets - 2 seed tatties to a 21 litre bucket and all three performed well, with Charlotte just shading it in terms of yield. I have British Queen in a very large tub at the moment - should be ready to harvest next week or so, and also British Queen in beds, so will be able to compare - I know the beds are good cos I've had a nosey but will await the tub with baited thingy (as Nick would say).
                  I also put some chicken manure pellets in my buckets just below the seed tatties at planting time, so maybe this helped but as I didn't plant any buckets up without it, I can't really judge.
                  Sorry your Swift was a bit of a disappointment, but as others have said, s'been a funny year.
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Try Wilja Second Earlies, I planted 5 seed potatoes in a container and got 5 meals for two people, THEN, when I dug them all out there were over 60 potatoes in there! They taste lovely too. Good luck!
                    Last edited by LindaS; 28-07-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I have had great success with tub spuds over the last two years (soory not meaning to rub it in) The only thing I can suggest is what I have done which is when I planted them initially i mixed 50% well rotted manure with the compost did the usual back filling as they grew and gave each pot a watering can each per day (7 Litres). So far I have grown; Arran victory, royal kidney, red duke, catriona, golden wonder (not ready yet) so I'm no expert but my neighbour got me to set him up with some same pots etc and he had little success but he didn't water like I did so it must be that, hope that helps.
                      Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

The first ones I dug up wern't too brilliant, so I have been watering all the others like mad and they seem to have done much better.

Comment

I've planted some potatoes for christmas in a couple of pots. (Cant remember type, think they were Charlotte - definately Sainsburys make anyway!).
                          Does anyone have any tips on feeding potatoes - both in the ground and in pots? The ones in the ground seem to be doing fine without feeding, but I wondered what everyone else does apart from plenty of watering - especially in this hot weather. dexterdog
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

My ones in the pots I give them Hi potash feeds (tomorite etc) or Maxi crop which is seaweed based. You don't want too much nitrogen other wise you get loads of tops & "no bottoms"

The last few weeks is when they need the water to bulk up & they will take quite a lot of it but don't go too mad otherwise they'll rot especially as it's cold around Christmas time.
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick - do want more "bottoms" than "tops" how often should I feed? thanx dexterdog
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X