No announcement yet.

Spuds in tubs - what did I do wrong

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Och (as they say north of Hadrians wall). Feeding is a very subjective area. Usually the compost will last about 4-6 weeks on average but as you "earth them up" you are evectively applying a top dressing which wil last a couple of weeks so I guess you'll need to start about 2 weeks after the last top dressing (earthing up). Rather than give a full dtrength feed twice a week I prefer to feed at about half strength at every watering (assumes you use liquid feed) but everyone has there own ideas on feeding.

I figure that I would sooner eat 7 meals a week rather than 1 huge one on a sunday & nowt all week
    Last edited by nick the grief; 31-07-2006, 09:19 PM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I got 6 pounds of lovely potatoes from 1 red rooster in a B&Q bucket. I mixed some of that manure in bags they sell in B&Q with the compost from a grow bag and added a litle phostrogen to the water when watering. I got 4lbs of Charlotte from 3 seed pots by the same method. I was delighted with the results and wished I had grown more. I've got some Nadine on the go at the moment so looking forward to seeing what happens there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I've just harvested 5lbs of British Queen from the last of my buckets - definitely the best performer for me this year - the others were far from dissapointing -got 4lbs of Charlotte from one bucket.
        On the subject of feeding in buckets, all I did was add some chicken manure pellets at planting then each time the bucket was topped up (and the tatties therefore earthed up, I did so with a cheap multi-purpose compost so in effect they were getting a top up of nutrients anyway. Other than that, just plain, simple rain water, either from the heavens or from the water butt.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

never tried spuds in tubs etc before,do you need drainage holes in tubs,as after a days rain surely they will get waterlogged and maybe rot.we do get a lot of winter rain from the west down here in cornwall.

Comment

Just treat as any normal plant pot =- needs drainage holes , feeding and watering. Once they get going, it's hard to waterlogg them - they are a very hungry and thirsty crop
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

The last couple of years I've grown potatoes in one of those special potato barrels but I'm sure I used to get higher yields from an ordinary large plastic tub. Last year the Anya didn't give much of a yield & this year I only got about 2.5 lbs of 'Harlequin' out but they were very tasty. It could be me & that I find it harder to judge when the barrel needs watering with it being tall & slim so I'm just going to keep a close eye on it next year.
              Attached Files
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and info on how you've all got on. My Christmas spuds seem to be doing fine thank you. I even gave a small pot to my father in law and his are sprouting as well. - Looks likes lots of tatties for Christmas Day! (Mind you there are usually 12 of us round the table at my in laws for dinner!) dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi, I have been reading about the christmas pots and am a bit worried as i have just put mine in the ground- should i have grown them in pots ?

Raine

Comment

We grew Sharpes Express, British Queens and Roosters all in tubs and got at least 5lbs from each tub. A great success. We're going to get more tubs at the Potato Event next year. It's a really good day out even though my children think I'm really sad going out and getting excited about buying seed potatoes in January when it's always cold and wet. They have guest experts to help sort out your queries and you can buy as many or as few of about 200 different varities as you like, all washed down with hot tea and bacon butties.

Comment

could you please explain wot the potatoe event is thanks.
                      regards
                      Anthony

Comment

HDRA have potato days where there are literally hundres of varieties to choose from. I'm not sure where your nearest one will be Anthony so best keep your eye on GYO magazine.
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

ok ths for that nick.
                          regards
                          Anthony

Comment

The one we go to is held in Mid January each year. It is at Dundry's Nurseries just outside Chelteham. Lots of free advice and we bought our spud tubs there for 3.25 each. Im going next year so if you remember to remind me about Xmas time I'll let you have details.

Comment

ths for that ger-annie-um
                              regards
                              Anthony

Comment

I belong to the very keen, very inexperienced group of gardeners and grew Charlotte, Red Duke of York and Maris Peer in 'poly pots' this year for the first time. The poly pots are basically poly bags, mine were about 15-20 litres and I put one or two tubers in each. I've emptied them completely as opposed to getting a few and letting the others grow on. I get about 1kg a bag which is not brilliant but as I say, I am inexperienced and will give them a go next year. One disappointing thing is that they all seem to break up a bit on cooking.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X