No announcement yet.

Spuds in tubs - what did I do wrong

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try 1 per bag next year & you may get a better yeild. As too cooking them I'll let one of the ladies advise on that as i know my limitaions But I guess a reduced time is the obvious solution.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Might be better to steam them Jazz Duke. Also bear in mind that all potatoes respond differently. Some are better boiled, some roasted and some steamed. When buying your seed potatoes ask your supplyer for a leaflet which will give you some info about all these things and more.

Best of luck, Bramble.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

By breaking up, I mean the outside started falling away before they were cooked through. Certainly these varieties should be suitable for boiling. (Actually if you parboil before roasting this is not too bad a thing, gives you nice crispy bits later.)

Regarding the less is more theory in the bags that is interesting. I am greedy by nature and always try to plant one more of everything. If you are sure that one tuber will produce a higher yield then I will certainly try that next year.

Comment

Can't guarantee it Jazz but you've got a restricted toot run in pot/bags etc & they take an awfull lot of food & water out of the compost. I only plant 1 per bag in mine & I do alright especially if we have another hot summer.
          ntg

Comment

...which leads me on to my next question. I only have pots, containers and growbags so one of my biggest expenses is potting compost. Can I re-use the potato earth for any type of container crop? Can I add some fertiliser to give it back some nutrients or do I just have to throw it away?

Comment

Yes you can Jazz.

It won't be very exact I'm afraid as you won't know exectly what has been taken out by the potato crop, but you could try adding some Chempak potting base to it (assuming it's a soiless compost you use) at the reccommended strength & then use it to grow other crops but NOT Tomatoes as they are the same family.

Try something like Beans or peas (you may even get away with not adding the chempak ar they fix their own Nitrogen through the root nodules).

Year 3 you could try growing some Lettuce in it & then sendit to the compost bin or spread on the borders.

You'll need to suppliment the feed any way with a good GP feed like Miracle gro or the like as what is in the compost won't keep the plant fed from planting to cropping,
              ntg

Comment

Nick - have you changed your little picture thing? surely you dont annoy anyone - you are my veg guru! (and I suspect everyone else who visits the Vine!) dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Dexterdog I think you will find Nicks avatar is aimed at me!!
                  [

Comment

He's a little tinker isnt he? dexterdog
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Yes he certainly is - but lovely with it!!!
                      [

Comment

Absolutely! the best! dexterdog
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

no chitting

on the box it says no chitting with these 2nd early potatoes why is that.
                          regards .
                          anthony

Comment

I have got some Carlingford 2nd spuds from Adam at seedsforsuccess he says you dont have to chitt these but you can do if you want to - so Ive got them all sat in rows with their little eyes heavenward and am waiting ........ dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

awww dexter what can I say.... I am wonderful your right
                              ntg

Comment

Please can someone answer JazzDuke's question. I have bags and bags of used potatoe compost and I was hoping to re-use it next year after some suitable 'customising'. Problem is I don't know what to add to make it re-useable.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X