Not exactly veg gardening, but ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not exactly veg gardening, but ...

We live in a Smoke Control zone, and there are a lot of limitations on having bonfires. But we have a lot of prunings & some diseased plants, perennial weeds, etc, which I can't compost. Theoretically I can have the occasional bonfire so long as it isn't too smoky, and so annoying to my neighbours. I was wondering if buying one of those little metal incinerators might make it less annoying for them? Does anyone know if they are less smokey?

To get it less smokey you need to get it hot. The incinerator is a good idea and should do the trick. Also try to get hold of some easy burning wood such as old pallets or wood that can start with and help the fire along. You don't want anything man made like plywood or MDF as the glue in this stinks. This dry wood will burn with a lot of flame which will stop smoke. Once you have a good fire just add your weeds bit by bit. Try to get a short but intense fire not a drawn out slow burn. This also has the advatage that if it is smokey it should be over quickly giving less chance for the neighbours to notice!
    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Brilliant - thanks, Matt!

Comment

You CAN compost perennial weeds, but leave them to dry out in the sun first, till the roots are shrivelled and dried out.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X