Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After potatoes what can I/can't I use the compost next for?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After potatoes what can I/can't I use the compost next for?

Grown in B&Q buckets, I'm really low on compost and now have a couple of spare buckets of it but don't know if there's any rules about what you can't plant in there next like there is with tomatoes....

I only use spent potatoe/tomatoe medium for flowers, either in pots or the flower beds. To risky for the veg plot.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I'd suggest dwarf beans.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Isn't it too late to start more dwarf beans off though? The ones I already have are going to start being eaten tonight.

If I take a chance with one of my not required tomato plants and there is a problem, would it just affect that plant or could it spread to others in their healthy soil?

Comment

Hi Dan

Fingers crossed we've still got 2 maybe 3 months of warmth yet; so yes - still time. I still sow beans and peas until end July - for a late crop. For the sake of a few seeds, what's the harm. Esp if you have some spare compost around!

Comment

I use old potato compost for beans and lettuce. Add some balanced fertiliser (pellets or meal) and they should grow fine.

Comment

Sorry to hijack folks, but I'm confused now ...

I've been following the threads about what to follow early tatties with on the lottie (leeks/caulis/psb type things are apparently most popular) - so whats the difference with doing that, and with using the old potato compost from buckets for things like brassicas??

Sorry again, excuse my niavety as well as my hijacking
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Grow anything not of the same family, As Cutecumber says add some pelleted chicken manure and have a go.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                  Sorry to hijack folks, but I'm confused now ...

I've been following the threads about what to follow early tatties with on the lottie (leeks/caulis/psb type things are apparently most popular) - so whats the difference with doing that, and with using the old potato compost from buckets for things like brassicas??

Sorry again, excuse my niavety as well as my hijacking
                  Just speculating but I can think of two possible things (1) brassicas need a lot of nutrition so if the compost has already been used for spuds maybe it wouldn't have enough left for brassicas?? or (2) the consensus seems to be that brassicas are less suitable for container growing as they need really firm soil. I wouldn't have thought either of things meant it was never OK to use the same compost for brassicas, just that it maybe isn't as suitable as some other crops??

Still speculating... but I would have thought the only thing that you probably definitely *shouldn't grow* in old potato compost is more potatoes, or other members of the family like tomatoes etc.
                  Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Thanks Demeter - its starting to make a bit more sense now ... so its not so much a case of it being bad to use the compost, just that its bad, for instance, to grow brassicas in a pot in 'old' compost. My headache is now gone, phew! I knew someone would be able to help!!
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

This year I used the compost left from last year's potato buckets in my window boxes - beefed up with a bit of pelleted chicken manure. Today I noticed a potato amongst the geraniums and lobelia!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X