My spud, erm, 'harvest'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan1979 View Post
    Wasn't going to let anything go to waste and I'm quite a skilled peeler after so much practice.
    Why peel them at all? No need.
    Last edited by HeyWayne; 30-06-2008, 07:03 AM.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yeah, I scrape a few flakey bits off but they go straight in as they are [washed of course]. Holds them together as well.

Comment

you lot are soooo liteweight - I eat 'em mud n all nah, only joking, I just wash them, that's it nawt else
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

just over 5lb from about 6 seed potato's at the lottie dont know if thats good or bad will see what the rest are like when I dig them up.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of the fibre is in, or just under the skin too...
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I'd leave them a bit longer if the tops are still growing - and I'd WATER THEM!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

sadly the tops were almost gone due to slugs and they were watered behind a watery thaing
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Emptied my first bucket at the weekend. Accent (early) from 3 seed potatoes - 890g or nearly 2lbs. I was pleased as this is my first attempt. Going to earth up the rest of the buckets though

Last edited by nilling; 30-06-2008, 01:39 PM.
                  aka Neil

Comment

that's brill nilling - way better crop than mine ...what'd you feed 'em - beer?
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Don't want to hack anyone of but I dug one plant of charlotte yesterday and got 2.5 kg of potatoes. It is the best I have ever had and there was about 35 decent sized potatoes. There is also a down side as the next row over is pink fir planted at the same time and I dug a plant of them and the total yield was a big fat zero. Not even a pea sized potato. As the saying goes some you win some you lose.Still pink fir will stay put till tops die down and then I will look to see what I have.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        Anyway, however many you get it's all potatoes that haven't been sprayed with paraquat (yes commercial growers do do that so stop blight getting down to the tubers) or anything else. Hope you get bigger crops.
                        Commercial growers do spray with paraquat (normally referred to as PDQ) but not for the reason given. The crop is sprayed approx 7 days after planting and the idea is to kill any weed growth before the canopy of the potato plants is sufficient to smother weed growth.
                        Rat

British by birth
                        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am going to furtile around tomorrow - very excited first time growing potatoes.

Generally, I have been very impressed with everything I have grown and harvested so far, however, I have noticed that everything - garlic, tomatoes, onions is sooooo much smaller than what you buy in the shops. I know nothing, and I mean nothing compares to growing your own (the taste, the satisfaction etc etc) but just wondered what is their secret - many years of experience I expect......

kwa50
                          CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

One root of first early RIVIERA the next root gave 5lb
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              Why peel them at all? No need.
                              Because I was saute'ing them and didn't want a few odd ones with skin on amongst the peeled bits. Uniformity and all that besides I'm not sure how they'd turn out with the skin on as they wouldn't have the same texture.

Comment

Originally posted by dan1979 View Post
                                Because I was saute'ing them and didn't want a few odd ones with skin on amongst the peeled bits. Uniformity and all that besides I'm not sure how they'd turn out with the skin on as they wouldn't have the same texture.
                                Do try them with the skin on though, they're luverly My first lot of spuds just got washed, bunged in the oven with some oil and seasoning, and eaten 30 or 40 minutes later. Yum. I love them with the skin on
                                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X