No announcement yet.

Fruit after my potato flowers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't leave it any longer than you need to for a harvest Quark. If it needs to be further ripened, I have a windowsill! Exciting, innit? Or do I need to get out more?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Flum - at the moment they are the size of cherry toms - and I'm not sure how much seed is inside. I want to give them the best chance to deliver - next year or the year after. This is for both of us and anyone else for whom I might have spare seed that might be interested. I may sacrifice one fruit and see whats inside.

It'll be a first for me too.

Comment

Cheers - long may your lobes hang low!

Comment

As there are many of you on with skills of potatoe growing I would like to grow some for Christmas time what would be the recommend type and where would I get them from i would grow them in two large large cut in half plastic dustbins[ about metre dia].

Comment

Sorry about the late reply quark.

I picked mine when it was just larger than a cherry tomato and then left it to turn black on a window sill. I believe that you can get up to 500 seeds in one fruit so i'm not sure you'll have to collect too many.

There are reports of people using tps to produce seed potatos and then growing on from those which i liked the idea of, alternitvely just grow from seed. I would have had 6 seed plants but 4 got savaged by slugs just after germination Still i'll keep the two i have and report back when i have more info.

D
            www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
            www.outofthecool.com
            http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

The advantage of this is thart each seed produces a different potato. If you find one with good qualities that you particularly like, you can grow that on from its tubers as usual and you have your own variety!

Comment

xmas taties...save some of your first earlys...

Comment

i like the idea of growing spuds from seed,can you give me some advise as to when to sow seed ,greenhouse? pots? then how long before planting out?
                  Also has anyone saved pots to use as seed spuds for next year with any success?

Cheers

Comment

I've never grown spuds from seed but I imagine sowing in March will give you a good start. Only guesswork though.

Comment

i sowed seeds in a coldframe in march/april and had seedlings within 2 weeks, 6 got minched by slugs but i saved the 2 remaining plants. One i've noticed has some stem munching bug so i'll be pulling it up soon. i let them grow to tomato seedling height so 6 inches and then planted them out,

I'm working on saving the pots....i'll let you know.
                      www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Hiya,
                        We are very new to the 'grow your own' thing and have manged to transform our back garden form completely patioed over, to a mini agro-farm :-)
                        Very interested in trying to grow pots from seed as we have an old Black plastic dustbin that I have planted seed pots in and then earthed up. They are now trying to take over the world and have jsut started to fruit, I had thought these were just flowers so was intrigued to find that they are actually going to be fruits (which we will not eat dont worry) How do i go about getting the seeds? Is it just a case of picking when they are golf ball size and then leaving in teh greenhouse?
                        Cheers

Comment

i'd pick when they're about cherry tom size and then leave to turn black. then cut open with a knife and scape out seeds, pop these onto a paper towl and let them dry. seal in an envelope for next year and you're done.
                          www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Potato pods/seeds

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            They ARE the fruits but are NOT similar to tomatoes, they are in fact toxic. However, I'm looking for some of these to grow on. Would you mind leaving them on the plant till you are ready to eat the spuds and then send them to me? I'll send you a pm and I'll pay the postage and packing costs. I'd love to grow some from true seed - but my earlies just drop their flowers without setting the fruits.
                            I've ammassed several of these pods this year so if anyone needs any, just let me know. Mick. (Sussex).

Comment

What do the seeds from pods become, sorry is that a stupid question? Only asked cos earlier in topic someone said Do Not Eat Pods?

Comment

You grow the seeds and they become potato plants - they're True Potato Seed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X