Onion problems-not looking good

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion problems-not looking good

What an absolute disaster this year so far.

All my red onions bolted, decided I could make better use of the space so reluctantly pulled the lot

Now my mammoth onions are looking quite sick. I bought these from Robinsons as small plants.

My little book suggests it may be eel worm. Some of the leaves are pretty tightly curled.

Is it eel worm?

I hope not

The really worrying part is it says not to grow onions, strawberries, peas, or beans for several years

Really hoping for some good news here, so be gentle

Thanks

Are they all affected?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Snadger,

No, not all but probably the majority.

There are only about 40 in the bed.

Comment

Looks to me like the culprit is the allium leaf miner i lost all alliums to it last year.Try pulling a few onions out and stripping the layers off you'll either find a little white maggot or a red chrysalis if you do pull all affected plants and burn them.West midlands and staffordshire plagued with the little pest for the last few years.

Comment

No, not leaf miner - the leaves would be half-eaten and yellowing if it was that.

Could well be Eelworm though. "These tiny worm-like pests are too small to see with the naked eye, but the damage they do is all too easy to identify. Young plants become swollen and twisted. Young or fully grown plants infected with onion eelworm have a soft feel to them and often the bulb splits at the base. The bulbs loose all their natural crispness.

There is no cure available for this condition, prevention is the only cure. Destroy all infected plants by burning them. Do not plant onions, leeks, beans carrots or parsnips on the infected soil again for two years."
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh dear! Hope it's good news for you. Eelworm does not sound good!

Comment

Sorry to see the state of your onions. It has been a bad year for mine to most are no bigger than when I put the sets in and now most have got grey mould. Still at least it wasn't as bad as yours if it iseelworm. Lets hope for the best for you.

Ian

Comment

GojiB I have the exact same problem. Took one to Wisley on Monday.
                Poor storage of the sets before planting was to blame!
                Great service there- free to RHS members!

Comment

Mine are the same as yours Goji and Headfry! No grey mould tho. Mine just arent growing!!

Comment

Thanks everyone, just managed to catch up a bit

Pulled a couple & stripped the leaves etc back, no sign of anything.

The necks are very thick, and the bulb is soft.

along with the very distinctive leaves, they are beyond hope.

Eelworm still looks favourite, can anyone confirm this for me please.

They are planted in my big main bed. Onions & potatoes generally, this really will but the dampers on next year if it is eel worm

Comment

Hi everyone. I seem to have much the same problems as all those discribed in this subject, with Onoions and Garlic but I also have some excelent Onions and garlic, What I have got that I cant understand is some of the Red Onoions with slightly twisted leaves have new groths coming from them that are small onion sets about a quarter of an inch round, anyone any ideas of what they are ? "H"

Comment

Can you put a picture on Howard? By the way, Welcome to the Vine.

Comment

Fraid I have got to go with eelworm sorry.

Colin
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hi rustylady thank you for your reply, I'm sorry about the delay in replying I,ve been away. I can't post a picture as the offending sets that I mentioned, as they have been disposed of. They were actually garlic not onions although the sets were the exact shape of a very small red onoin, between four and eight in about ten of my garlic plants, they were about four inches above the ground, growing out of the folliage that was dying back as normal at harvest time. Still baffled,

Howard

Comment

^ it sounds like you have little baby garlic sets. These could've been grown on for next year
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X