My broccoli, help required please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My broccoli, help required please.

This is my first post and also the first time i have grown vegetables.

I have planted broccoli which from the seed packet states its "Autumn Calabrese". Currently i have plants which are about 2 - 3 feet high and has heads of between 1.5inch to the size of a tennis ball.

My question is should i be harvesting these now as i have had one head go to flower. I seem to have side shoots as well with smaller heads on some plants, which i think is strange as the picture on the packet was of a large head as you would buy in the supermarket, not the sizes i have. Also, is there a way of slowing the flowering of the plant? and getting the heads larger?

ps, I have picked one head to try and it taste great.

Pick them now, the smaller sideshoots will continue to develop into smaller heads. I don't know how to slow them down except sow the seeds later next year.
    They're never as big as the supermarket ones - but they will taste better!!!

And welcome Lurch, I like the name!

Comment

Hi lurch - dunno (my first year with broccoli, as with everything else) but wanted to say hi and welcome to a new poster.
      My big brother's nickname at school was Lurch...
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Pick your broccoli heads before the heads get loose and turn into flowers. Calabrese covers a multitude of sins, could even be PSB in disguise. With any type of broccoli or calabrese you will get small sideshoots develop after you've cut the main head. They are all delicious.

Comment

Wish mine was ready!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
            ...................................................They're never as big as the supermarket ones - but they will taste better
            Can you eat the supermarket ones? I always thought they were plastic(taste like it!) and just for show!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi, we've cut 3 extremely large brocci heads now and the lower side heads are doing well. I had to share some with my friend I was so chuffed with them and couldn't possibly eat that much brocci.
              I'm new to veggies, but trying !

Comment

Hmmm. Autumn Calabrese in July. That's global warming for ya.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

with ref to becoming ready all at once - I recall someone who used to break the leaves of Caulies and fold over the head so it was "in the dark" supposed to slow down maturity and stop it flowering. I might try covering a few heads this year with something to see if it works!
                  Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

I thought you covered cauliflower curds with leaves to stop the light turning them yellow? Blanching them, in effect.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X