Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small aubergine and pepper plants any hope?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a problem you have with snails Amanda. I've seen none and about 6 slugs this year. I must be truly blessed. Long may it last.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

So I bought an aubergine black beauty plant from B and Q a while ago. It's been in the greenhouse ever since and is now about 20 cm high but hasn't flowered or beared any fruit.

what is does have is (hopefully) a flower beginning to show. What worries me though are the presence of lots of little spikes on this 'flower' which are now growing on some of the spines of the leaves.

I never knew they grew spikes.

I know that black beauty are a 'medium early' type plant - am I flogging a dead horse or shall I continue and see what ahppens?

Thanks

Comment

Lol! Some aub plants look positively 'evil' with leaves with spikes and spikes on the flower bit that holds the fruit (calycx?)! Watch out for the last when you harvest your aubs. Its still relatively early in their growing season, so good luck russell, but pray for a long hot summer for them (and us!).
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have two types of aubergine growing in an unheated greenhouse. Both types are about 2ft high and have quite a few flowers on them but as yet no aubergines. I have not grown them before so dont know what to expect. Hope i get some nice fruits soon. Any one know how long I will have to wait?
          johntheeng

Comment

Amanda - when did you sow your stuff?

j r hilton - you just have to wait, I'm afraid. Aubergines are not fast.

I am about to harvest my first aub of the year - there won't be many, but the ones I have look ok. They are "Bonica" and were sown mid-February.

Comment

Originally posted by j r hilton
              ...Hope i get some nice fruits soon. Any one know how long I will have to wait?
              Have any of the flowers set? We've had a few aubs of different varieties off ours already - calliope, rosa bianco, early long purple 2 (but we do eat them smallish - tennis ball size-ish). They're in the border of the unheated greenhouse. They enjoyed most of the June weather, but its not been hot or sunny enough for them recently!
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 20-07-2008, 06:55 PM.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X