Lettuce q

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettuce q

Finally got the new patch off and some cut and come in which is just coming up but impatient for some lettuce.
    Any advice on a fast growing type I can get? Cos, little Gem, Butterhead etc.
    Which is the quickest grower anyone's tried please?

I am growing a butterhead called 'Merveille des Quatre Saisons' the seeds are produced by Johnsons and are organic. The leaves are red tinged and I read that slugs don't touch red lecttuce leaves. They are growing very quickly and so far the nasty sluggies have left them alone. The leaves look really lovely too.....an added bonus.....good luck
    Christine

Comment

Originally posted by TrulyGreen View Post
      The leaves are red tinged and I read that slugs don't touch red lecttuce leaves. Christine
      WOW, that's why my growbag of mixed lettuce has attracted slugs that have not gone near my growbag full of lollo rossa, sitting right next to the mixed bag. It's been bugging me for weeks why one and not the other thanks for that Christine.
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
        WOW, that's why my growbag of mixed lettuce has attracted slugs that have not gone near my growbag full of lollo rossa, sitting right next to the mixed bag. It's been bugging me for weeks why one and not the other thanks for that Christine.
        Interested to hear that Hayley. I decided to grow red lettuce after I read that slugs don't like it. I was doubtful, but my red leaves are fine and you have added to the evidence. Any one else with similar experience ??

Comment

Yup I agree...my red lettuces(sp?) are sluggy free but the little gems are munched to pieces and the Funly never made it beyond 6mm tall!!!
          RtB x

Comment

'Lettuces' or is 'lettuce' a plural as well as a singular?

Hmmm...bored at work so thinking silly thoughts
            RtB x

Comment

[QUOTE=RobintheBobin;261972]'Lettuces' or is 'lettuce' a plural as well as a singular?

I think that lettuce is plural as well as singular.....but anyway.....three cheers for the red variety....hip hip......: Anything that defeats the slimey monsters is Ok with me Does slimey have an e ?

Comment

I find the cut and come again type 'salad bowl' is very quick to grow. I made sure I added some well rotted manure to the soil to prevent it drying out so fast and bolting.

Comment

I've grown "Colour Shades Mixed" for a couple of years, it's great - fairly quick to grow, about 3 or 4 varieties in the mixture, all red/red tinged, can be cut as leaves or left to form a loose head, really nice flavours & the slugs leave it alone . I got it from Thompson & Morgan Lettuce : Colour Shades Mixed

Comment

Originally posted by TrulyGreen View Post
                    I am growing a butterhead called 'Merveille des Quatre Saisons' Christine
                    That'll be what the common or garden catalogues call Marvel of Four Seasons

Originally posted by RobintheBobin View Post
                    Yup I agree...my red lettuces(sp?) are sluggy free but the little gems are munched to pieces and the Funly never made it beyond 6mm tall!!!
                    I grow Charita (green frill), Amorina (red frill) and Little Gems and the slugs haven't touched any of them - they are to busy munching the chard !

Originally posted by sarahspatch View Post
                    I find the cut and come again type 'salad bowl' is very quick to grow. I made sure I added some well rotted manure to the soil to prevent it drying out so fast and bolting.
                    Have to agree that if speed is of the essence the a CCA type is what you are after. You can grow one type eg Salad Bowl or sow a mixed salad packet of seeds - various mixes available, including Mediterranean, Oriental, Herb etc.
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

The quickest lettuce I have grown is definitely Salad Bowl.

They are unexciting but there's nothing wrong with them.

Try a mix of the green and red versions for a pretty result.

Comment

OK, that's decided then after battling with the slugs over my lettuces (pregnant bitch zone so no organic pellets - too risky) and now losing turnip leaves to the munching pillars I missed the last couple of days - I have concluded that all things red it will be. I will plant only types of red lettuce next year so I won't be living exclusively off lollo (got 13 of those thankfully supplementing my slug leftovers).

Interestingly the slugs haven't tasted the Chard (red and yellow) and the organic slug pellets I have been using in the front garden (pregnant bitch free area) have kept the slimy whatsits from everything else.

Pesky butterflies have attacked my khol rabi, chased one off yesterday and then picked the eggs off. I still maintain that the polystyrene box they are planted in is a slug deterrent. Actually as a test I might try planting green lettuce in a box when I have one free
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X