Peas in Hanging Baskets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peas in Hanging Baskets

Okay, so I have had a search on the forums and found reference to people successfully growing sweet peas in hanging baskets, but what do you think to the chances of growing eating peas in hanging baskets?

Seeds of Distinction/Simply Vegetables have a dwarf pea variety called Half Pint, which might be suitable.

valmarg

Comment

Well I dont know to be honest, they climb you see and grow really tall. Perhaps invent some sort of extra long chains which they can climb up once they shoot? That might work because unless their feelers have something to support them with they flop over and will take damage in the wind.

You might want to do it by buying two hanging baskets for £1 each from poundland, then using two of the chains on one basket by attaching the first to the basket itself then attaching the chains from the second to the top of the first and hanging it from the second chain as usual. Oh yeah and plant the peas near where the chains are attached of course lol and perhaps sow seeds sparingly. This way they can grow tall but use minimal space

Hope this helps
      Last edited by New_Bud; 26-07-2008, 06:21 PM.
      "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

Originally posted by New_Bud View Post
        Well I dont know to be honest, they climb you see and grow really tall. Perhaps invent some sort of extra long chains which they can climb up once they shoot? That might work because unless their feelers have something to support them with they flop over and will take damage in the wind.

You might want to do it by buying two hanging baskets for £1 each from poundland, then using two of the chains on one basket by attaching the first to the basket itself then attaching the chains from the second to the top of the first and hanging it from the second chain as usual. Oh yeah and plant the peas near where the chains are attached of course lol and perhaps sow seeds sparingly. This way they can grow tall but use minimal space

Hope this helps
        Translation please

valmarg

Comment

Not sure how that would work Adam. The peas I grow are Kelvendon Wonder. They don't need any support (or very little) as they only grow about 3 feet high. But if they were in a basket I think they would still grow up, and not droop and trail down.
          Maybe I'm wrong. You've got me thinking.
          Know what Adam, I'm going to try it and see what happens.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks folks, that all makes sense but leaves me no clearer as to whether it will work or not. The long chains idea might be the best bet if they really do need to grow up something.

I'm going to go with Alice and just give it a bash. I think i will try one basket with long chains and one basket letting them "hang". Is it too late to sow them this year, will I have to wait to next year now?

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
              Translation please

valmarg
              Basically, fit the hanging basket with chain as normal, then attach another chain to the first (from the point at which it would usually hang) to make it longer. Hang as normal. That way the peas can climb up the chain
              "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

The variety I recommended, Half Pint, only grows 12-15" tall, which is why I suggested it might be suitable. It could be allowed to trail from the basket, rather than climb.

We grow it indoors in large pots for an early crop.

valmarg

Comment

ive heard of peeing on your compost heap but in a hanging basket -
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Sorry I bothered to reply.

valmarg

Comment

Thanks Valmarg, I'll give that variety a try next year (unless there is still time this year???)

Comment

You've still got time this year Adamski. Good luck with the project.
                        And Valmarg - thank you for your info which is always good.#I've made a note of that variety too.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm growing "Onward" peas in a hanging basket this year.. it's worked out fine. They're in a large hanging basket lined with plastic inside the willow and moss weave, in the middle of the basket is a bush cherry tomato and around the outside are the peas. They're growing around the chain and around the tomato plant, and seem pretty happy without any formal supports, but I suppose you could try some twiggy branches if you felt the need. They've done much better than my peas grown in pots on the patio, which were devoured by slugs despite fierce organic warfare. The thing with peas though is that they don't crop very much per plant.. so a basket is great for a seasonal taste fresh off the vine, but never enough for much of a meal.
                          Last edited by Gwen11ian; 28-07-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Gwen11ian, I read your post and I just thought you might like to know that a good way to keep slugs away is to find a tray of some sort large enough to hold your pea pots, fill it with stones and put the pots on top, my mum suggested that to me for protecting my potted peas and it worked! The slugs wont cross the gravel!

Just a thought!

Oh yeah and Adamski20, if you undertake your project this year would you mind keepin us informed? As im thinking of growing sweet peas next year and would love to know how they turn out? good luck

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X