newbie needs a bit of help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needs a bit of help!

ok, i'm so new to growing veggies that i'm not really sure what i'm doing.

in my garden i have (in pots and tubs but started in peat pots) some carrots, beetroot, sweetcorn and 1 tomato plant.
    the seeds were all purchased from b+q and none of them seem to tell me what type they are.

they all seems to be growing ok, but i have a few queries.

1) the carrots seem to be growing but the couple that i have pulled up so far have been in a corkscrew kind of shape, whys this ??

2) i can see the tops of some of the beetroots but that are only about 1" in diameter and don't seem to be getting any bigger.

3) the sweetcorn plants are about 4ft tall and seem to have a 'corn' type bit growing in the middle, where abouts does the actual cob come from?

4) the tomato plant is a bit lopsides as i didn't know to pick off the side shoots until it was too late, i now have about 35 toms growing on there,i have been feeding it with a tomato food once a week, is there anything else i should be doing to help them grow ??

thanks in advance

Originally posted by halfpint View Post
    ok, i'm so new to growing veggies that i'm not really sure what i'm doing.

in my garden i have (in pots and tubs but started in peat pots) some carrots, beetroot, sweetcorn and 1 tomato plant.
    the seeds were all purchased from b+q and none of them seem to tell me what type they are.

they all seems to be growing ok, but i have a few queries.

1) the carrots seem to be growing but the couple that i have pulled up so far have been in a corkscrew kind of shape, whys this ??
    The carrot may have hit a stone and forked or they are being eaten by the maggot of the carrot fly. Whatever you can still eat the good bits.

2) i can see the tops of some of the beetroots but that are only about 1" in diameter and don't seem to be getting any bigger.
    Be patient and try increased watering. They should swell a bit more yet.

3) the sweetcorn plants are about 4ft tall and seem to have a 'corn' type bit growing in the middle, where abouts does the actual cob come from?
    The cobs form halfway up the stems, you will see these intially as side shoots and then hairy tassles appear from the top and then they will swell.

4) the tomato plant is a bit lopsides as i didn't know to pick off the side shoots until it was too late, i now have about 35 toms growing on there,i have been feeding it with a tomato food once a week, is there anything else i should be doing to help them grow ??
    You are doing the right thing.

thanks in advance
    You are most welcome.
    Last edited by Capsid; 28-07-2008, 03:24 PM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X