Cucumber advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber advice please

My cucumber plants are going mad.... One plant has 2 large cucumbers growing (Marketmore about 7 inches in length) and about 4 other smaller cucumbers which seem to be growing at an alarming rate. How will I know when they are ready or not, I dont remember when I planted them and the info I have read states to pick when the ends are rounded - but they seem rounded to me already. I dont want to pick if it is too soon and they could taste bitter - any advice please.

kwa50
    CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

They shouldn't taste bitter, although if you pick them too small they are likely to taste "unripe".

I would pick them when they are a "reasonable size" - I think the normal advice is "Anytime after they have become straight"! - but I would be pretty confident that 7" is big enough to pick.

The plant will shed young fruit if the mature ones are not picked (i.e. self limits itself to how many it holds) so picking smaller, rather than larger, prevents there being a gap in production.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

More likely to be bitter if you leave them on the plant to long. I usually pick mine at about 5/6 in in length so at 7 in I would say yours are well ready for picking.

Ian

Comment

Oh, okay maybe I will pick tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Thank you

kwa50
        CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X