potato worries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potato worries

hello went to the plot on sunday and was looking at the spuds and i noticed that some had little fruits on them they were the size of small marbles.
    i asked one of the sites old boys what was up and he asked if they had flowered i said nay,so i dug the plant u and there was nothing just the roots and the seed i planted no little spuds
    i planted them in mid may and they were a little spindlly legged when planted
    any ideas
    PRESTON NORTH END
    xbox gamertag billybobs
    add me to your friends list if you got what it takes

Little round fruits - they must have flowered behind your back!

Seriously, I have some early main crop (Mayan Gold) that seem to have done the same. There were potatoes but not as big as I would have liked. I have also had complete tatty failure on couple of late earlies.

Sorry I can't say why (do sympathise though) - hopefully somebody will come along and tell us why!

Comment

i will try and take some photos on our next trip down there
      PRESTON NORTH END
      xbox gamertag billybobs

Comment

I'm afraid I can't guess why you have no tubers, but for sure think it is nothing to do with the fruits. Some varieties have them, others don't.

Comment

Dinky Doo, don't worry about the fruits. It's normal, but don't eat them - they're poisonous.

As for the lack of potatoes - what variety are they. If they're maincrop they want 22 weeks in the ground. Maybe you just dug them up too soon.

Rogesse - I think maybe you have the same problem - didn't give them enough time. I leave potatoes until the top growth turns yellow and dies down.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Don't forget to save your fruits in a safe place.

There are a number of us here going to trial growing potato from true seed next year!

Just put the green 'marbles' on a window sill to dry out and go black - when the seed inside will be ready for scooping out - store in a paper envelope or similar......and watch this space next year!

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
              Don't forget to save your fruits in a safe place.

There are a number of us here going to trial growing potato from true seed next year!

Just put the green 'marbles' on a window sill to dry out and go black - when the seed inside will be ready for scooping out - store in a paper envelope or similar......and watch this space next year!
              thanks for the advice guys i will save some of the seeds and try them out next year
              PRESTON NORTH END
              xbox gamertag billybobs

Comment

I think if they went in in Mid May they have definitely not had enough time, whatever variety they are. (Do you know what they are, incidentally - it will help us to give advice.)
                I'd leave them another month, don't let them go short of water, then try again. If still small, wait a bit longer. Good luck.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

to be honest i cant rember which veriety they were

will see whatchappens
                  PRESTON NORTH END
                  xbox gamertag billybobs

Comment

Yeah, I think you pulled them up a full month too soon.
                    Better luck next year.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i still have laods of spuds in the ground
                      i onlypulled up a few plants at random from the plot
                      we were late getting them in this year due to the horrid weather we had in march/april
                      PRESTON NORTH END
                      xbox gamertag billybobs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X