• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• following broad beans

what have people planted in the space left over from broad beans
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Ooh Hawthorns, I need to know that too, and if anything can be grown up the wigwams left after the mange tout and climbing beans.

Comment

I put leeks and over-wintering onions there.

Comment

For me (following John Seymour's 4 plot rotation) it's overwintering brassicas which have been busting out of their pots until now!

Kale's now in after the 1st lot of broadies, brussels sprouts will go in probably this weekend.

Comment

i was told to cut off the broad bean stalk leaving the roots in the ground to rot as this is great for the soil
          http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
            i was told to cut off the broad bean stalk leaving the roots in the ground to rot as this is great for the soil
            Yep - it adds nitrogen to the soil which is jolly good for the following plants. I cut the broadies down to the ground and use a trowel to dig an 'ole for the brassicas.

Comment

Because the roots have nitrogen-fixing nodules, which is what makes them good for following on a nitrogen-greedy crop like brassicas?

Comment

Snap Hazel!

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                  Because the roots have nitrogen-fixing nodules, which is what makes them good for following on a nitrogen-greedy crop like brassicas?
                  great minds post alike, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                    Snap Hazel!
                    no, you first, I insist!

Comment

Sorry, I took my eye off the ball there for a minute and got completely enveloped in catching up with your blog angel.......

Yes, as Auntie Hazel says, a good crop to follow on from Bored Beans is a greedy nitrogen-hungry crop like Summer Cabbage, Sprouts, Calabrese, Cauliflower, next Spring's Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Perpetual Spinach, and the like.

And if you've not got seedlings of those ready and waiting in the wings, there's still lots of salad leaves that you can sow instead?

Within four to six weeks you could be picking Salad Rocket, mixed Salad Leaves?
                      And that'll save you a fortune on your supermarket shopping bill....

Comment

Spring cabbage for me........and lot's of em!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am planning, when I come home from hols, on putting a few more lettuce seedlings there as the row of peas alongside should also be finished that I can take out then. (And I've put a second crop double row of broadies on the other side of those peas!!)

The brassicas are all up the back in a different bed, as I used the broadie space for brassicas last summer. Poor planning when I was starting out. (I am currently replenishing that bed as the first lot of calabrese are finished, and I hope that the second flush of the other early calabrese is over soon so I can put in my late PSB - no room for them yet!!).

Comment

I'm going with leeks as they are looking like they really need to be transplanted...unfortunatley my sprouts had to be moved and netted before the nasty cabbage white appeared.
                            RtB x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X