Have you ever?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever?

I am planting supermarket spuds as a 2nd crop this year. I know they are at risk of disease but has anyone experienced a problem??
    Have your uncertified potatoes caused problems or have they been just fine?
    I would be grateful for as many replies as poss!
    Tx

I have done this as well....

and planted supermarket potatoes in tubs, potato sacks etc.... I havent harvested any yet, but think they will be fine, theres just the problem of disease if you plant in the ground (I think).

kwa50
    CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

I planted a few that were sprouting in a bucket on my balcony a few years back - they produced a nice crop of new taters, no problems at all.

Comment

I have 5 Vales Sovereign main crop bought from T---O planted on my plot, couldn't get hold of any seed locally not spending a fortune in carriage for a few spuds,tops are still green and healthy

Comment

I have put spud peelings in pots [just about to harvest] and in the ground for a christmas harvest; Personally I think the fuss is an urban myth to make us buy seed potatoes.

Comment

I grow in buckets from supermarket potatoes and have never had a problem - and some lovely tatties.
            This is some of this years Charlotte.
            Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Same here, I plant any leftovers in buckets and chosen seed potatoes in the plot. I've planted around 20 buckets this year and only had one failure so far, although the yield has been variable.
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

What are the smallest size pots/buckets that potatoes can be grown in?

This is my first attempt and the smallest i am using is 12 inch deep (1ft) with the same wide.

Comment

I have planted spuds from the supermarket and got a lovely crop with no problems. I planted in the grouund, but I think if I was going to do it again I would use tubs/buckets just in case.
                  pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

my supermarket spuds, are the healthiest things in my veg garden, they are huuuuge dunno how many potatoes i'll get though, especially in the front garden, cos the soil is awful.

Comment

I've just harvested some Charlottes that came from a T3sco spud ... lots of lovely spuds, fair bit of scab on them, but that is harmless and scrapes off easily.

I've got some T3sco Saxons in the ground too, but all my labels have disappeared under the mulch/foliage, so i don't know which ones they are.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

So no-one gardens have exploded then through planting supermarket spuds!!!
                        I think it may be worth the risk then, to plant them in next years bed.
                        Please keep the reassurances flooding in!!!!!
                        Tx

Comment

Yep - me too. Grew some blue salad ones last year from Waitrose which were fab. I've only ever used supermarket potatoes - never bought proper slips.
                          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I tried some supermarket ones a couple of years ago & had no problems but I did grow them in a tub, the only problem was that I didn't get a huge crop, put about 5 in & only got about 12 out.
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X