Westlands Concentrated Tomato Feed / Tomatorite

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westlands Concentrated Tomato Feed / Tomatorite

When using the above I noticed this and wondered if anyone knew the reason for it.

If I mix either tomato feed with water from my rain collected water butt the water stays crystal clear, but if I mix either of them with tap water it turns the water a bluey / grey colour.

My toms are doing well, just wondered why this was?....We live in a very chalky lime water area...ie if we don't filter the water then the kettle would need de-scaling on a weekly basis, as far as I know our water comes from a natural underground reservoir (thames area) before they do there bit at the filtration water plants.

So is it the lime / chalk in the water or perhaps some chemical causing this that they they add in at the water filtration plants?
    Last edited by jamesp; 30-07-2008, 05:58 PM.

I'm no chemist, but as your rainwater stays crystal clear, I would say that the natural balance is acid.

On the other hand the tap water is alkali. As you say, you live in a 'very chalky lime water area'.

We are very similar. The tap water is alkali, but the rainwater is acid.

We can grow acid loving plants, ie rhododendrons, azaleas, magnolias, pieris, etc, etc. Whilst they are more than happy in the garden with the rainwater, in times of drought, you do not water them with tap water. It is too alkali.

Your toms will be doing well because they are both acid and alkali tolerant.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
      I'm no chemist, but as your rainwater stays crystal clear, I would say that the natural balance is acid.

On the other hand the tap water is alkali. As you say, you live in a 'very chalky lime water area'.

We are very similar. The tap water is alkali, but the rainwater is acid.

We can grow acid loving plants, ie rhododendrons, azaleas, magnolias, pieris, etc, etc. Whilst they are more than happy in the garden with the rainwater, in times of drought, you do not water them with tap water. It is too alkali.

Your toms will be doing well because they are both acid and alkali tolerant.

valmarg
      Many thanks, that makes perfect sense, we to can grow acid plants as the soil is neutral, as long as you dont water them with tap water then they are fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X