What to do with celeriac

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with celeriac

When I planted my celeriac seeds way back when, I for some reason had it in my mind that they were hard to grow. So I planted 12 just to be sure.

They're going great guns now, but it suddently dawned on me - how (if at all) do they store?

They're a way off being harvested yet, but still - forwarned is fore-armed. I think...
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

You could grate and bottle like the jars you can buy on the continent. They should be ok in a cool, dry place (not the fridge) for a while. Depends what you want to do with it when you come to eat it. If you are thinking stew then why not peel, chop, parboil and freeze in appropriate size packs.

Personally I like my celeriac raw, in very fine sticks with mayo or lots of black pepper and a vinaigrette. I shove it through the food processor fine grater for this. Works well for carrots too.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

roots can be left in the soil until required for eating. If overwintering them in the ground, cover with straw or compost to protect against frost, if you get any (we don't usually until Feb)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I reckon 12 plants will last you nicely for the period from when the first one is ready, to when the last one is still ready.

Now 120 plants would be different!

So I would just pick them when needed - unless you especially want to "keep" some for out-of-season?
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I'm a right boring old fart and either put it in soups, stews or stir fries!

Comment

I'm leaving mine in the ground and taking it out for soups...that's the only reason I'm growing it to be honest.

Comment

Yep - leave in the ground till you want to use it. I LOVE celeriac and really want to grow some - it's pretty expensive come the Autumn, which is when I want to mash some of the ugly little fellas with potato and grated summer truffles. Then pop a bit of smoked fish on top.... or anything really...

Or remoulade with homemade mayo for a summery celeriac idea?
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

it's lovely as part of roast veg.

celeriac, carrot, red skinned potatoes and a couple of corgettes lobbed in 20 minutes before end of cooking time.

Comment

Drool!

Roast Celeriac - I'd forgotten how good that tastes, thanks hamsterqueen.

We tried to grow some and overwintered them in the ground. They went all squishy as the ground got very wet and cold.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X