Why can't I grow lettuces?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I grow lettuces?

I have planted loads of lettuce seeds, mostly they have germinated, but they die off or just don't grow. I have some lollo rosso which have been not growing now for weeks. They got to about 2" across and round and have done nothing since......
    What am I doing wrong??
    Tx

Are you growing them in a sunny spot? Because don't! Lettuces are much happier in a cool, shady spot. Try that but if they still don't grow for you, I give up!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

all my veg have done the same, sprouted up, then came to a standstill ...... but we've had 4 days of sunshine now and they have all put a growth spurt on ..... and my lettuces are in the herb bed in the sunniest spot in the garden, there are some others at the bottom of the garden in a fairly shady spot that have been there for 5 weeks, and are still only a couple of inches tall.

Comment

I suspect that Flum is right. They are in a very sunny spot (hard not to be here!!) I shall sow the next lot and leave them on the windowsill - or under the french beans. Or, would under the courgettes or toms work!!
        Tx

Comment

oh yeah, thats a point, theres only been about 5 days of sunshine since i planted them lol

Comment

Flum is right about shade/coolness.
            Grow your lettuce behind something taller, and they'll do better.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Tootles, how good is the ground you are trying to grow the lettuce in ? They don't like anything clayey or rough. And as Flummery says they don't want too much sunshine either.
              Lettuce wants really well cultivated soil, plenty of water, some shade. Other than that it's not fussy Growing in a container could be the solution to your problems. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I've grown lettuces in direct sunlight with good success and so has my neighbouring allotment. I've also grown then in a green house and find outdoors they do much better, the leaves are far to delicate and thin when grown indoors.
                My last batch were sown outdoors in a purpose made seedbed with fine compost. When they had 2-4 definite leaves I transplated them, waterd and added a thick layer of horse manure around them. I have about 30 plants in total and harvest the leaves rather than whole plants. Makes for great mixed salads and the plants should last longer. In this bright sunshine we have to water regularly but they don't seem put off by the light and are growing exceedingly fast.
                My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

mine are doing really well. I sowed them in a raised bed filled with compost and top soil, Sowed mixed leaves for cut an dcomem again, every now and again i thin teh leaves by taing some of the larger plants and replanting them in an other seed bed to grow on as whole lettuces for picking.

Have not had to buy lettuce for over a fortnight now and I eat loads of salad, I've done 3 more sowings since and will do teh same. The leaves are growing around teh climbing french bean wigwam

Comment

Originally posted by Lazgaot View Post
                    I've grown lettuces in direct sunlight with good success and so has my neighbouring allotment. I've also grown then in a green house and find outdoors they do much better, the leaves are far to delicate and thin when grown indoors.
                    fast.
                    You don't say where you are? - I bet your sunshine isn't 40 degree South of France sunshine though!!
                    (nur nur ne nur nur!)
                    Tx

Comment

Lettuce grows best in the cool seasons etc nothing much grows/moves at 40c(including me!) and is best if you can rig up some shade as suggested. and keep their feet wet at all times but not the leaves... thus a bit of organic matter helps retain water

The correct variety for the situation is important with lettuce...find out what the locals grow. The two I like are Grande Blonde Paresseuse and Rouge Grenobloise... Both do well in summer. Lollo Rosso are ok but they do take a while to establish...I usually cut and come again with them.

Comment

When you sow lettuce, they need to be kept cool or they won't germinate. I am on my fifth crop of lettuce, with the sixth planted out and the seventh sown, all in my polytunnel. My sixth crop was poor to germinate - because it got too hot and the cells were in direct sunlight, the seventh batch have germinated at 100 % because they were placed below the staging where it was shaded and cooler. I only grow lettuce in my tunnel - too many rabbits and feathered pests outside last year, plus the tunnel needs a high turnover to justify it's existence ! The varieties I opeted for were Charita and Amorina - both good looking and tasting frill lettuce green and red respectively) and both are slow to bolt. They receive no special treatment although the whole of the tunnel floor was mulched with 5 year old FYM and the lettuces were actually planted out into a layer of peat (the lumpy and fibrous bits left after seiving multi purpose compost for seed sowing) which was generously scatted on top of the FYM. The only attention they get is that they are watered daily.
                        Rat

British by birth
                        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I germinated my lettuces on the patio, which is nice and sheltered but doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight.

Then I planted them out into my complete suntrap of a front garden, where they have been very happy (and so has next door's guineapig who gets the spare bits!!!). I've been planting Valmaine, and pulling the outer leaves off to eat. They've done fine, and have been partly sheltered by tomato plants / sage bush / other things in garden.

It's starting to go to seed now, so *note to self - PLANT MORE LETTUCE*
                          ---
                          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

Nearly all the "green" lettuces I sowed bolted fairly quickly, but the lollo rosso is doing fantastic! It's out on the allotment, exposed to everything, no special treatment etc. Some that I transplanted near my tomatoes at home are in a lot of shade, and have only a faint pink tinge to the leaves and aren't growing half as well as the lottie ones.
                            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

We grow our lettuces in full sunlight too (when the sun is out that is).

The ground had loads of compost and a bit of horse manure added to it. The seed was sowed straight into the gorund, then that was it. They were just left to thier own devices and ended up growing out of control lol.

We grew Salad Bowl, which is a 'pick and grow back' variety and All The Year Round which you pull up whole.

I know some lettuces don't like full sunlight so maybe you have one of those types? It should say on the seed packet where to sow them.

We have never had any problems with the types we grow so maybe try a different type yourself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X