should i pull these up? and potato question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i pull these up? and potato question

I planted some cima di rappa (like sprouting broccoli apparently) anyway, as i never manage to stick to instructions (ie plant august) i planted them around the end of june they have all started flowering ..... i thought they only did that when they have grown heads?? do i need to pull them all up now, and sow some more in august?? or will they sort themselves out?? who said this growing stuff was easy? see pics.

oh and while i'm here, my potatoes are now about 3 foot high , i've covered them over the first foot with soil, should i put more soil on them?? or will they be ok as they are? they were planted about 8-10 inches down under the original ground.

thanks

Lynda xx
    Attached Files

Looks like they've bolted, going to have to pull a couple of mine when the rain stops.
    Last edited by amandaandherveg; 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

so i need to pull them up then?
      Last edited by lynda66; 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Hi
        I had these last year, and you can use the leaves and flower heads before they actually open - a bit like broccoli.

Pick off the opened flowers and chuck - and you can use the rest.

Comment

lol, the flower heads consist og about 5 buds per plant and about 6 leaves ..... think i'll do as i'm told and wait till august

Comment

Or if they've bolted - why not hang around a wee bit longer and gather seed for next year?

Assuming you don't want to reutilise space quickly.

Comment

oh yeah hadn't thought of that, good plan nope don't need the space, am transferring larger seedlings out of that bed to the front garden when i finish digging tomorrow, can just leave them where they are good plan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X