brussels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brussels

I`ve got them covered up to stop the butterflies laying eggs on them. Is there a time when I can uncover them?

Well I guess there must be a date when butterflies stop but this will no doubt depend on where you are. Also late sunny spells will bring them out again. Is there a reason you need to uncover them. If not leave them on or just watch for butterflies. If you don't use nets it's quite easy to inspect them every few days and crush any eggs.

Jim
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

if the butterflies don't get them,the pigeons surly will,they seem to smell any brasicas a mile of,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I keep my brassies covered all the time I'm afraid......too risky to uncover... if the butterflies don't get em those birdies will for sure

Comment

Why do you need to uncover them PMC? Are they getting too big? Or are you just wanting to weed etc? My Enviromesh gets lifted off once a week for weeding, bit it won't be taken off full time until we get the first frosts. In the meantime, I have to put a couple of extra poles in the middle to lift the mesh high enough for the plants, Luckily, the mesh is big enough to allow this

Comment

Keep them covered, I had caterpillars eating my turnips when there were frosts!
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Have not had mine covered at all this year and so far no ploblems. There are butterflies about but I am keeping an eye out for the caterpillars. Plants are about 18in tall at the moment and I may have to think about staking them.

Ian

Comment

There are 100s of Cabbage Whites around now ~ a few have scrambled SAS-style underneath my netting and are laying eggs like nobody's business. Some are even having sex under there
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  Why do you need to uncover them PMC? Are they getting too big? Or are you just wanting to weed etc? My Enviromesh gets lifted off once a week for weeding, bit it won't be taken off full time until we get the first frosts. In the meantime, I have to put a couple of extra poles in the middle to lift the mesh high enough for the plants, Luckily, the mesh is big enough to allow this
                  I have them covered with envirofleece like you but I don`t think the rain is getting thru just running down the sides cos I too have sticks in the middle. I`m watering by hand at the mo but am going away soon that`s why I was thinking of uncovering.

Comment

I don't think you should worry too much about watering - if it's raining, even if it's not soaking through the cover it's still going into the ground and the plant roots will go downwards to seek it out. I think the cabbage whites are probably a greater threat at the moment

Comment

Two Sheds - your post made me laugh! The butterflies round me are the same - I can't understand how on earth they are getting in under the netting. Also they're so stupid - they get in and then can't get out again!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X