cardboard vs plastic (on top of beds)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    Does putting compost on top of cardboard prevent the worms getting the compost into the ground? I'm probably just being thick ...
    No, the worms will pull the cardboard down as they go about their business.

Comment

Ah, OK. I see. thanks
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks Snadger, will try to get the peas. My Summer peas were wrinkled and you're right I had them all eventually succumb to powdery mildew.

I have planted some Kale in a bucket and I think I will transplant some to the beds. At this rate though I'll still be harvesting courbladdygettes at Christmas
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
          Does putting compost on top of cardboard prevent the worms getting the compost into the ground? I'm probably just being thick ...
          Kristen, I thought that so have manured then covered with cardboard (huge sheets from well-known car shop that sells cycles). Perhaps I'd better do it the other way around for rest of plot

Comment

I think putting the cardboard under the compost makes it harder for the Good Guys to get the compost into the ground - and it will dry out / blow about etc.

But I've never tried it, and lots of people recommend it, so just ignore me!
            Last edited by Kristen; 02-09-2008, 10:18 AM.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I'm thinking like you Kristen- that the compost wouldn't get into the ground and would dry out etc. I might try cardboard underneath for the next section and see which give best results. It's all about trial and error I guess but fun doing it. I've also stopped worrying what all the 'professional lotties' are thinking. We all have to learn and everyone has their own ideas. My best source of info is having a drink with my dad (he's 83 and gardened all his life) in the British Legion with all the other old boys. I also acquire lots of old tools which are lovely as they've been used and cared for over the years.

Comment

Worms will munch through cardboard, especially once it gets soggy - if you have a worm composter, it's often recommended that you include some loo roll tubes or eggboxes in the mix. In the wild, worms eat dead leaves and all sorts, and they need some dry fibre in their diet!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X