Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cima di rapa (like sprouting broccoli) any tips??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
    that's just it, they dont get to that stage, they just grew the leaves then just shot up a stem about 4 inches taller than the leaves with flowers, there wasn't really an in between stage, the whole head bit is about 1/2 an inch across.

it never looked anythink like this GoneGardening.com - Turnip Top Cima di Rapa Novantina
    Neither does mine, but it is from a different seed. I understand, you can get bigger varieties, but as Snadger says, with Italian varieties best to go for those that are from the North of Italy.

Comment

Sounds like they were too hot or not enough water and have gone to seed.
      -----
      Doh!

Comment

maybe not hot enough and too much water??

Comment

Originally posted by daylily View Post
          but as Snadger says, with Italian varieties best to go for those that are from the North of Italy.
          or ones from the mountains where its cooler - which may well be the north anyway, of course, Alps anyone?

Comment

I bought mine from The Real Seed Company. There are instructions on the web site. Sowed direct. There are 40 day and 60 day varieties. The time of sowing is quite important - not to early.
            History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

hi lynda66 how are you? your flower seeds are still going strong in my garden from last years swap! i'm glad i've come across this old thread because exactly the same thing happened with my cima, grew and went straight to yellow flower...so are you trying this year?

Comment

glad they growing well .... nope i gave up ... decided to grow normal stuff this year lol, haven't as much space as last year as i'm giving fruit a go instead of the weird stuff, am growing caulis calabrese and romanesco this year

Comment

I'm growing some this year in a pot mixed in with some pak choi - got some leaves and stems out of them, and then went away for 5 days without picking the latest stems and they flowered. Ate them anyway. I've now sown some more in another container - more of them this time as the flowering heads are quite small (got the 40 day ones from Real Seeds, they do say you will get a much bigger harvest from the 60 day ones). Think I will just be trying to remember to pick early and often.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X