Is this Tomato Blight?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Tomato Blight?

Today I noticed that quite a few leaves on my tom plants (about 20 plants in the greenhouse has brown spots on them and a few tomatoes has brown spots too. I did not water them last night but I did on Thursday and they were fine then. I do water regulary and don't think that this an issue although I have recently been feeding more frequently

Does this sound like blight? I stripped off all the affected leaves and toms but is this enough do you think? Please help, I would hate to lose my antire crop!
    Thanks
    Tracy

I checked over my Tamina (outside) tomatoes today, and many of them are turning brown. There are a few dark patches on the stems, and some leaves are yellow/brown.

I've Googled, and don't want it to be blight, but it does sound like blight.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm afraid, Tracey, it does very much sound like blight, but a picture speaks a million words.

Comment

My Tamina were looking superb, but have all gone down to blight. Next plot down had some Tamina go down to blight also, but apart from that the rest of our site is blight free!
        I have a feeling that Tamina are quite susceptible to blight.

Comment

can you take the toms off whilst they are green and use them for chutney? i have a fair few that look fine but as soon as they start to change colour they go brown

Comment

I think so!I did last year & we have survived1
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

better go and buy a large quantity of jars then!

Comment

yes, I have just posted a load of Green Tomato recipes on another thread. Just off to order some lovely jars from eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by baggyman View Post
                  My Tamina were looking superb, but have all gone down to blight. Next plot down had some Tamina go down to blight also, but apart from that the rest of our site is blight free!
                  I have a feeling that Tamina are quite susceptible to blight.
                  Probably why they are a new potato leaved variety with seeds very cheap this year!
                  Without wanting to gloat, mine are still fine, but I think they are a bit of a tasteless variety?
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've just looked at the blurb for Tamina: "New (for) 2008. Indeterminate, requires support but minimal sideshooting. An early ripening 'potato leaved' variety with outstanding taste, particularly when grown outdoors. Produces a huge crop of medium sized 75g (2½oz), round, red fruits."

Yes the crop was early, and huge. The few red ones I got to try have been tasteless, whereas my Sungold are delicious. Tamina has got blight, whereas my Sungold has not. I daren't look at my Subarctic Plenty.

2009 - Sungold all the way

Comment

The cherry toms seem to be a little less susceptible, but in my experience they so succumb in the end. The benefit is that they are usually earlier to crop, so at least you get some!

Sungold are fine, but they split if you even look at them funny. No good for storing even for a few days.

In my patch, blight always gets the San Marzano plants first... it's like a magnet. Unforutunately they are also the last to ripen so I lose fruit on a regular basis.

Blight arrived this week, by the way, but I am just about in control at the moment!

Comment

i have noticed brown spots on some of my larger tom but not on the leaves but the leaves are dying off and going yellow also some of my baby plums are going brown at the stalk part and some are fine have took some off and put on window sill to riping is this blight

Comment

Brown spots on the fruit - yes, it's blight. Squeeze the flesh slightly and you can see the rot squishing under the skin.

I just picked 12 lbs of green tomatoes to make salsa or something with

Comment

My front garden "allotment" tomato bed has been blighted, praying for sun so I don't lose them all or I'm gonna pick them all green and do like TS - there's three different varieties there, fortunately the back garden lot in pots are all ok bar one
                            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

[QUOTE=Cutecumber;277372]The cherry toms seem to be a little less susceptible, but in my experience they so succumb in the end. The benefit is that they are usually earlier to crop, so at least you get some!

I've have toms in 2 GH's, not sure if it's a coincidence but the one with the regular toms has blight but the one with cherry toms is fine. This was my first year GH growing, it's so sad to see all the wrinkly brown blighted leaves appearing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X