Electronic pH tester

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic pH tester

Has anyone got any experience of using electronic pH testers? I'm thinking of getting one as I have quite acidic soil and get a bit anoyed with the chemical tests (keep doing them bloody wrong!).

Steven
    http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

So how do you know you have acidic soil?

I haven't used one for measuring pH of soil, but the pen style testers are very easy to use and cheap too!
    Last edited by Capsid; 31-08-2008, 03:39 PM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I have one from a garden centre and find it easy to use.
      My soil varies from pH 4 to 6 . I've given up testing and testing- No lime where the spuds are going and loads elsewhere. I now just do what the neighbours on the adjacent lotties do- and it works well.
      I think mine cost about £15 and needs wiping between uses.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
        So how do you know you have acidic soil?

I haven't used one for measuring pH of soil, but the pen style testers are very easy to use and cheap too!
        i got one like that from wilkies, apparently my soil, and tap water are neat acid ....

Comment

Unless you have solutions to calibrate a pH meter, it will be inaccurate and will drift in its reading, even if it was calibrated at manufacture. In the lab, I calibrate the meter before every use and that's a £1000 jobbie!

Comment

Sluglobber is right, no such thing as a reliable electronic pH tester, and the cheaper they get the worse they are.
            Have you tried a liquid drop test like the ones they use for aquarium, just a couple of drops, the water changes colour and a little card tells you the pH. Put a little sample of the soil in a container (test tube or the like, often come with the kit) and add tap water till it looks like two parts water to one part soil. Shake well and stand till the soil settles, then decant and add reagent, or carefully add direct (without disturbing the soil again).
            The result will not be spot-on and will be further out the harder your water is, but in moderate and soft water it is more reliable than an uncalibrated meter, and as accurate as you need to be. Also an awful lot cheaper, you should be able to pick up a kit for £3 and it should do dozens of tests

Comment

I think these are even easier.

pH Test Strips, pH Papers on Plastic Strip - Cole-Parmer Catalog
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                Well that's something I didn't think of using. Think that would actually be better for me. Thank you.

£8 delivery seems a bit steep, sure I can find them somewhere else though.

Steven
                Last edited by nerobot; 01-09-2008, 06:45 PM.
                http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X