Cucumber at last

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber at last

picked my 1st cucumber to night, picked spiky as he is known at around 5" in lengh.
    Done this because of the weather and cause there are 5 more cuces growing.
    Spikey tasted nice and sweet no bitterness ,although Rosy the pet cockatiel made no comment on tasting her slice.:
    a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Nice one!
    I just had to pull all mine up cos they were too far gone with mildew. Boo! We did get at least half a dozen per plant before they conked it though
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

were you growing outdoors butterfingers? I find my cukes under glass come on a little earlier, plus, if you can start them off inside, even on a window sill and transplant out when they have 4 or 5 leaves, then you get them a little earlier.

Still, there's no telling with this year, there's been so little sun that everything is a bit off.

5 more coming, eh? I find that once you start picking they just keep on coming. Enjoy the harvest!

Comment

Well done!

I'm a bit sad as mine have pretty much finished - they were indoors and produced fabulous amounts of fruit, but I think the red spider mite have done 'em in a bit prematurely!

Comment

I think one of mine will be ready this evening, too! I grew Burpless, simply due to their fabulous name! Got a nice sized one, now, so it'll be salad with my winter dinner tonight (poxy weather!).

Comment

My first ever season, and so far from 2 cucumber plants have harvested 6 nice cucumbers, still got about 15 left growing but only small at the moment,, they are in greenhouse, is there any hope for them ?

Comment

The slugs enjoyed my cucumber plants far more than I did

Comment

I'm hoping to harvest our first ever outdoor cuke this weekend! It's not very long but quite squat and fat. I thought about doing duck pancakes as a starter on Saturday, and having the cucumber with them. Can't think of anything else to show it off!
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Spiky was an outdoor grown ridge cucumber, originally th plant flowered when it was half the size it is but no cucumbers, now it is about 4 feet high and cucs apeared.
                  a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

"Spiky" reminds me of some (ornamental!) "Horace the Hedgehog" cucumbers that my daughter has got seeds for, for next year. We got them for 50p at Wyevale, along with green caulis and purple sprouts. She is well pleased

Cucumber : Children's Ornamental Cucumber Hedgehog
                    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                      I'm hoping to harvest our first ever outdoor cuke this weekend! It's not very long but quite squat and fat. I thought about doing duck pancakes as a starter on Saturday, and having the cucumber with them. Can't think of anything else to show it off!
                      lots of cocktails that are good with a slice of q and sprig of mint, pimms being one of them and if you have borage you can throw in some flowers or freexe them in to ice cubes for the drink

Comment

Hendricks gin is supposed to be served with cucumber.

I have one 6 inch cucumber that looks like a curvy peanut.

Comment

Originally posted by squashytomato View Post
                          lots of cocktails that are good with a slice of q and sprig of mint, pimms being one of them and if you have borage you can throw in some flowers or freexe them in to ice cubes for the drink
                          *slaps forehead in self disgust* Of course!!! Cocktails!!! Cannot believe that I didn't think of that one before. Hic.
                          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

This is a photo of the cuke I picked today from my one remaining vine. The other never grew larger than a foot. I have included in the photo one 25 cl bottle for reference. From this same vine, I have had salad a couple times and made one bottle of sliced, pickled gherkins for my hamburgers. My cukes were getting all yellow a couple weeks ago until I gave them some tomato food along with some Biomagic organic liquid seaweed, foliar feed. There are a couple more large ones and several small ones. I also pinched out the growing leader once it got to the top of my wigwam outside. That duck idea sounds good, but I'll probably just have it cubed with tomato and dill. I think I'll have the duck later in the week. I have heard they are good for adding to juices if you have a juicer, which I do, but I never use it. I also used the three sister growing method, so this vine is growing next to two butternuts, corn that never got very tall due to slugs, and french beans.

*guessing this is far too much info*
                            Last edited by marigold007; 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Ooh yes! Duck pancakes! Reading the replies has reminded me that I've made sandwiches and forgotten to put my cucumber on, though!!! Arrrgghhhh!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X