New veggie bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New veggie bed

New to veggie planting but not gardening.

When is the time to plant seed potatoes ?

And can you recommend a good tattie for me to grow in my raised bed.

we planted pentland javelin our raised beds about april/may time just watch out for frosts..tho you can plant some now for xmas taties

Comment

I will see if I can get seed tatties locally Mark.

I also have my greenhouse for protection but want to plant in my raised bed.

I would like also to grow sweet pototoe.

Comment

For sweet potatoes there have been some useful threads with growing tips - quite different from normal potatoes, use your search button and all will be revealed!

For normal potatoes, you can plant them outside in April / May or so and protect them from frost by earthing up (covering with soil) as they grow, and by the time you let the foliage grow properly above ground the risk of frost should be pretty much over. In most parts of the country anyway!

For Christmas potatoes (which are a bit of a hit-and-hope thing anyway, by all accounts) there is more of a risk of frost killing them before the spuds are ready, so might not work to plant them outside now. I've got Christmas potatoes planted in pots to bring into the greenhouse, although saying that I haven't seen any signs of life yet!
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

i havent seen any signs of life in my xmas spuds yet either...saying that weather not as warm as it should be..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X